Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V3
Quote:First, those were only my ideas about "cool stuff" and some of them are not really fresh and new. But still, not all of them are "impossible" and your explanations of why they didn't become real were not always "end of story". Although it's impossible to predict if any of them would bring tons of cash to the manufacturer.

Cameras put the distance to the object into metadata - so they do know something about steps… And what else than steps - very precise steps - are the Micro AF adjustments? Here I don't find your reasoning convincing. It is doable, I'm pretty certain.
No, the camera does not know anything about the steps. It only knows the "crude" distance reported by the lens. This distance is just derived from the position of the focus barrel. Add an extension tube and the distance reported starts to be nonsensical.

It is not the camera calculating the distance. MFA is not done on the lens either. It is just asking the user how far off the lens is from the AF sensor reading. So the user just dials in that the camera has to say "it is in focus" when the camera in fact sees it is for instance 7 steps of its AF sensor scale OOF still, so the lens under/overshoot of the focus plane will be nullified.

Quote:In some situations it's the only possibility to get the shot, But then, if I look carefully to the "quality" of Nikon's LiveView, I don't see the remote displays would do the job without massive improvements in LiveView - and then the questions is, why not using a mirrorless FF system for that?
My Canon EOS 6D has very good live view. High refresh rate, exposure simulation, full aperture and exposure time control, 100% magnification if needed. Why not just put it in my DSLR instead of me needing to get an extra mirrorless camera for it? Now I have good live view + good OVF + good PD AF with good AF tracking.... 

Quote:Have you ever tried a CamRanger? Basically, the iPad/iPod is this "removable display" feature, just without the CamRanger device and having WLAN inbuilt. It doesn't need to have the huge range of the CamRanger, I would see it as innvation/improvement for my purposes if I could separate the display (which would have to be a touchscreen and it would need a battery or some other kind of energy source) from the sensor/lens/shutter/memory/battery combination
My EOS 6D already does what camranger does, all by itself (all you need it to put Eos Remote app on your iOS/Android device). A removable display would need what my iPhone already has: its own battery, WiFi, its own computer and memory and powerful processor to deal with the steaming video. And on top of that a sturdy way to connect/disconnect it to the camera including electronic contacts. Does not sound like a great idea to me, much better idea to just use in my case my iPhone for it.

Quote:If cam-manufacturers manage to make seamless panorama shots in cam and correct their (flawish) lens design in cam, focusstacking is no big deal - only trouble is, the user interface designers don't think enough "Apple".
Panoramic shots do not need to control the lens motor. With STM-like motors, and the camera knowing the lens well, it should be possible. But then new lenses will need a camera firmware update, and 3rd party lenses always will be a problem. But like I said, it should be possible with dedicated lenses.

Messages In This Thread
V3 - by alban - 03-26-2014, 04:13 PM
V3 - by Klaus - 03-27-2014, 09:28 AM
V3 - by alban - 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM
V3 - by JJ_SO - 03-27-2014, 11:14 AM
V3 - by Brightcolours - 03-27-2014, 01:22 PM
V3 - by Guest - 03-27-2014, 05:53 PM
V3 - by JJ_SO - 03-27-2014, 07:36 PM
V3 - by popo - 03-27-2014, 07:39 PM
V3 - by Brightcolours - 03-28-2014, 01:31 PM
V3 - by JJ_SO - 04-01-2014, 05:26 PM
V3 - by Brightcolours - 04-02-2014, 10:04 AM