Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Nikon 1 gear
I'm using a MicroSD card in my Canon 1D Mark II N (or 1D Mark III when I had one on hand), then put it into my smartphone and upload (if I need to). Mind you, downloading pictures to the smartphone (or tablet) may have different uses as well - like editing on the spot, etc. Though it sucks not to be able to use regular SD cards if you have a few already.

Quote:The pricing is a bit gaga, isn't it ?

I think I finally worked it out.

My wife and I bought a 3 year old VW Golf not that long ago and we paid about as much for it as a brand new Peugeot and the like.

We are more than pleased with it and in the future VW Golf is what we are going to stick to.

The same for Nikon. I have Nikon going all the way back to the FE2 but after the V1 I got a Sony NEX-5. I dislike the Sony so much that there is no way I am going to get anything other than Nikon.

The point is that there are, I am sure, that Nikon has enough base of loyal customers to buy only Nikon regardless of the price.

In any case, the price is not that ridiculous. You get a body, removable finder, decent grip as well as a new PD zoom.

After using the V1 for about a year, I am beginning to understand what the fuss with PD zooms is all about.

And 20 fps with continuous focus? Come on, who else has this?
Hi all,

Just had my first experience with the 70-200/4.0G on my V2 and I can state that it is a mix made in heaven! My wife has the fantastic 70-300CX, but the 70-200/4.0G is fantastic, too!

I used to use my 80-400 VR II on my D600, and my V2, but sold it as it isn't really in the same league as the 70-300CX the wife has, or the 70-200/4.0G. Especially in its long end it wasn't as shockingly sharp as I expected. Better than the old 80-400, yes, but really crisp, no!

I also use the Tamron 70-300 VC on my Nikon 1 cameras. Although that lens is a bit softer than the 70-300CX, and the 70-200, but it also costs very much less! Side by side with the 80-400 it could at times hold its place (needed stepping down to f/8.0 first), and that is amazing for a lens costing about a 7th of what the 80-400 cost me when I bought it.

When are you going to test the 70-300CX, or the 70-200 on a Nikon 1 camera?!

Tord555, I don't know what I find more strange: The desire to make other people work? The overdose of exclamation marks? No confidence in own findings (why do you need confirmation of obviously visible differences? of "mix made in heaven"? Come on, it's only glass and plastic and metal...)  ^_^ 

Neither, nor. I decided to find it strange - once more - that Americans always need to point out their belongings. My wife, my camera, my lens, my experience… I'm not judging, just a little bit smiling. At least it makes clear you're talking about your own experiences.

Also, what's so great about a lens you have to stop down to an aperture on which every lens has to deliver a certain quality?  Huh

Quote:The pricing is staggering. I wonder what the thinking is? No-one will buy this for kids sport, which is the niche that you might imagine a smallish sensor camera with good continuous tracking might carve out. But serious hobbyists are unlikely to bite because they tent to care more about IQ than the images they take (sometimes guilty of this error myself) Maybe some kind of semi-professional sports or wildlife photographers for whom the price of a 1dx or D4 and associated super teles is out of bounds? You might get the shot, and the quality would be OK (and the DOF is going to be thin enough at 800mm equiv. even at the slowish aperture). But this is surely not a huge market!
Having two 70-300CX in the house tells all, doesn't it?! It is far beyond any other modern 70-300 lenses I've used in sharpness, not least in its long end (outclassing my 80-400 VR II easily, a at least twice as expensive lens, to my dismay, so that is now sold).

I have never found any problems shooting with them at 300mm (not worse than any other 300mm lens), as DOF is governed by actual focal length, not equivalent focal length.
Quote:Having two 70-300CX in the house tells all, doesn't it?! It is far beyond any other modern 70-300 lenses I've used in sharpness, not least in its long end (outclassing my 80-400 VR II easily, a at least twice as expensive lens, to my dismay, so that is now sold).

I have never found any problems shooting with them at 300mm (not worse than any other 300mm lens), as DOF is governed by actual focal length, not equivalent focal length.
DOF is "governed" by apparent aperture size (and equivalent focal length when you are comparing different setups).

270mm f5.6 on FF -> 100mm f2 on Nikon 1. Similar FOV and same DOF.

Apparent aperture size: 270 / 5.6 = 48mm. 100 / 2 = 50mm.
Quote:DOF is "governed" by apparent aperture size (and equivalent focal length when you are comparing different setups).

270mm f5.6 on FF -> 100mm f2 on Nikon 1. Similar FOV and same DOF.

Apparent aperture size: 270 / 5.6 = 48mm. 100 / 2 = 50mm.
Ah, there I learned something new, again!

So, as I often shoot with the 70-300CX with f/5.6 @ 300mm, that equals then to an apparent aperture size of 53mm, not that bad ;-) !
Quote:Tord555, I don't know what I find more strange: The desire to make other people work? The overdose of exclamation marks? No confidence in own findings (why do you need confirmation of obviously visible differences? of "mix made in heaven"? Come on, it's only glass and plastic and metal...)  ^_^

Neither, nor. I decided to find it strange - once more - that Americans always need to point out their belongings. My wife, my camera, my lens, my experience… I'm not judging, just a little bit smiling. At least it makes clear you're talking about your own experiences.

Also, what's so great about a lens you have to stop down to an aperture on which every lens has to deliver a certain quality?  Huh
I gather from your avatar than you're less than half my age, therefor I'll have to make amends for you know-it-all attitude!

Young and stupid, I was that once, too!

First, I am as little an American as you are, I presume, as the only foreign blood in my veins is Scottish, and Bohemian. 

And you are just out to show off your experience of the world, while I owned my first SLR, a German one, in 1974, or thereabout. You wasn't even born then!

I have used many kinds of cameras through my life, like lovely old Sinar 4x5s, Minox 35s, and Leicas, including the famed M3. And various Canon and Nikon SLRs, and brands I am sure you never heard of.

I have worked in our Air Force's Transport Command, as illustrator in courts, and as a technical illustrator at Volvo Trucks, for many years I worked as fire fighter, and as heliguard onboard oil rigs, been editor-in-chief, photo editor, and, of course, often used my cameras in my work. And I have owned a bookshop, I am proud to say! But that failed when I got run over in Scotland (thus the Scottish blood). Back at work eight years later.

One of the more thrilling moments in my life was aboard a ferry on fire in the North Sea, happily not that many died that time. I've been involved in aircraft crashes, thrilling indeed, while you seem to do nothing but annoy people — poor kid!

Tord, just don't get on my nerves. "half your age" - well, being over hundred years could excuse for some of your funny blurb. And I'm not interested in the tons of gears you used in your past while you're talking about today's things. If you want to talk on about your involvement in catastrophes, your CV, private life, fine. Please find somebody who cares. Using your experiences as proof of being old is just the sort of thing to be taken seriously.  Smile

Age is in no way an advantage over others - aging is easy, we do it all day. How about some wisdom, old Swede? Wink  First step could be not to judge other people by the look of Avatars (some even do have fishes  Huh ) And thanks of the enlightenment that not only Americans talk about my camera, my car - my mistake to guess that, but actually, I didn't say "You as an American"… Now carry on, you sure need to leave some marks in a lot of threads. In case I'm totally annoying you - well, in your profile you can put my posts on an ignore-list, so you don't have to bother further on.  Wink
Everybody gets on your nerves, JoJu.  Tongue