Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fujifilm 8-16/2.8
I do agree: fast (ultra)wides do make sense (now, I put "ultra" in parentheses because how much ultra, it depends on the subjects; but fastness for blurring the background makes definitely sense).

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:I'm talking about size of an UWA here. Sure, it's not 12 equiv, but others have compared it to 16-35, so why not a 18-36?

Now, I now perfectly well it's equivalent to a 18-36 f8-11 and that's the beauty of it: such a lens DOS NOT EXIST in any other system.

That's what matters.

When travelling and shooting landscapes, I'm perfectly happy with a slow lens as I'm shooting landscapes (which don't move all that much ;-). With Olympus' IBIS you can shoot this thing at around 1 sec. So again, a combo such as an E-M5 II + Oly 9-18 doesn't exist ANYWHERE else. For the size factor it's simply amazing, regardless of what you think.
It is totally ok for you to appreciate that Olympus lens, I just found it strange to bring it up in a thread about a wider, "fast" UWA. The 16-35mm only came up because someone thought they had confused its size with that of the "fast" and also wider Sony FE 12-24mm f4.

I know that such a slow lens does not exist anywhere else, but I am unsure what the beauty of that quite extreme small maximum aperture is. 

Whether something like it does not exist anywhere else?

The Canon EF-M 11-22mm f4-5.6 IS STM is pretty close in size (just 4.5 mm wider and 8.5mm longer) and focal range:

Olympus ED 8-16mm f4-5.6 is a 18-36mm FF equivalent

Canon EF-M 11-22mm f4-5.6 is a 17.6-35.2mm FF equivalent

It is a tad faster too: Olympus f8-11 FF equivalent and the Canon f6.4-9 FF equivalent.

The Canon has IS vs the IBIS of Olympus.
http://j.mp/2xmm5S9

It seems a lens like that pretty much does exist somewhere else?

Quote:It is totally ok for you to appreciate that Olympus lens, I just found it strange to bring it up in a thread about a wider, "fast" UWA. The 16-35mm only came up because someone thought they had confused its size with that of the "fast" and also wider Sony FE 12-24mm f4.

I know that such a slow lens does not exist anywhere else, but I am unsure what the beauty of that quite extreme small maximum aperture is. 

Whether something like it does not exist anywhere else?

The Canon EF-M 11-22mm f4-5.6 IS STM is pretty close in size (just 4.5 mm wider and 8.5mm longer) and focal range:

Olympus ED 8-16mm f4-5.6 is a 18-36mm FF equivalent

Canon EF-M 11-22mm f4-5.6 is a 17.6-35.2mm FF equivalent

It is a tad faster too: Olympus f8-11 FF equivalent and the Canon f6.4-9 FF equivalent.

The Canon has IS vs the IBIS of Olympus.
http://j.mp/2xmm5S9

It seems a lens like that pretty much does exist somewhere else?

I agree, the EF-M 11-22 while not as small, is somewhat close.

The Canon M system could be actually interesting if it was a real system. At the moment however, the system is extremely poor in terms of lens selection. A shame. Hopefully Canon will think of filling up the huge gap in the lens line-up.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Yeah, I totally agree that MFT has a much wider lens selection than native EOS M, and it also has more to offer concerning small lenses.

What doesn't make any sense is the price of the EF lenses adapter, give us a cheap EF/EFs adapter and many will consider it
Quote:What doesn't make any sense is the price of the EF lenses adapter, give us a cheap EF/EFs adapter and many will consider it

What are you talking about? Which brand of EF to Fuji X-mount adapter?

In case you are actually going even more off topic than I and thxbb12 have gone and are talking about a Canon EF to EF-M adapter for EOS M, you must have missed something. Almost 4 years ago I payed around $30 for my Meike EF to EF-M adapter, and you can get such adapters now for around $10, even.

But if size is of little concern and one does not need to mount a specific EF-M mount lens, I much prefer a camera like your "new" 7D mk II, your 750D or even a 100/200D any EOS M. Why? They offer an OVF. And you can make them do trap focus (probably, depending on model and lenses available to you).

There is no 8-16mm f2.8 for EOS M, though. So for such a solution and an APS-C sensor, one should look for Fuji (in the near future) anyway.

Didn't know about the meike EF to EOS-M adapter

Is it as functional as the Canon adapter ? Maintaining autofocus and stabilisation ?
The EF to EF-M adapters are just simple extension tubes. It does therefore not matter which brand is printed on them.

Quote:The EF to EF-M adapters are just simple extension tubes. It does therefore not matter which brand is printed on them.
Many thanks BC Canon M6 is now more interesting... But i won't be getting a sixth camera body... Gear buying addiction isn't a benign disease after all