Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tamron lens VC - how to check if it works
I am using Canon 600D, I have Tamron 70-300mm VC USD (A005) and noticed if I turned on the VC, look through the view finder and press half the shutter to focus I can see the picture in the viewfinder will be a tiny "shake". Someone says that is Tamron's VC normal.

Now I just bought 90mm VC USD (F004), and did not have this "Shake".

Not sure which one is right or 90 mm VC is better?

How do I check if the VC is working or broken?

Handholding the camera, turning on the VC,  and shooting a still object at 1/25 second (about 3-stop slower than 1/180 sec) and see if you can get a sharp image. If it is hard to get a sharp image, then I would say the VC doesn't work (for the 90mm lens).

The still object should not be too close to the camera, other wise VC won't be effective. A 5-10m distance would be all right for the 90mm lens, I think.

Is the "shake" normal when you press the shutter to do focusing?

Quote:Is the "shake" normal when you press the shutter to do focusing?

I would describe it as "freeze". That is, when you half-press the shutter button, the image in the VF instantly freezes if the VR works. But I don't know if every lens/camera with VR or VC works like this.
Quote:... and noticed if I turned on the VC, look through the view finder and press half the shutter to focus I can see the picture in the viewfinder will be a tiny "shake".

If you see the movement just in the moment the VC engages, but as soon as the VC operates there is no chake anymore (but a stabilized image) I reckon everything is ok.
Quote:I would describe it as "freeze". That is, when you half-press the shutter button, the image in the VF instantly freezes if the VR works. But I don't know if every lens/camera with VR or VC works like this.

I asked and got responses someone said A005 and F004 have "freeze" in their both lens, some said no "freeze". I just confused, should they have "freeze" or not?

Is there a way to check if VC is worked?
For the 70-300mm it is normal behavior. What you see is the VC transition from inactive to active. VC/IS/OS always will need some time to stabilise, and different models will show different start up behavior.

The way to check your VC is to turn it off and take a photo at 300mm at 1/25th of a second. It will not be sharp due to camera shake.  Do the same with VC turned on. It will be sharper, and VC works.

The 90mm lens doesn't have exactly the same VC module, for it being a different lens. Image stabilization modules get designed per lens, due to different needs (different focal length, prime or zoom).

I think it's normal, I'm seeing this with my Canon 70-200/2.8 IS sometimes if I'm looking hard.

OK, I see for A005(70-300).

Now I further try my F004, I noticed it also has some "freez" and yes less "freeze" than A005. So the VC is there in my F004(90mm) I assume.

Quote:I am using Canon 600D, I have Tamron 70-300mm VC USD (A005) and noticed if I turned on the VC, look through the view finder and press half the shutter to focus I can see the picture in the viewfinder will be a tiny "shake". Someone says that is Tamron's VC normal.

Now I just bought 90mm VC USD (F004), and did not have this "Shake".

Not sure which one is right or 90 mm VC is better?

How do I check if the VC is working or broken?

One way to visualize handshake is to use liveview and set the magnification to 10x. Even with shorter focal lengths, where handshake is not so apparent (unlike teles), you should see how you shake. Turn on the VC, and it should be a lot smoother, it may not freeze completely, but change to a smooth, damped movement.