Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 HSM DG OS | A
Dear Klaus, first of all thanks for the review!

The soft corners at wide angle were indeed already noticable in your preview sample shots.. 

From this moment on I more or less knew that it will be a fine lens but not a gamechanger.

I was kind of undecided between the Tamron 24-70 and this one as my next purchase. Field of use: All purpose travel lens.

At first I fancied the Sigma more. It is simply more exciting and "attractive", also the zoom range is bigger and some comments about a big variance in quality at Tamron (Quality Control) irritates me..

Otherwise, the max aperture is a secondary argument when you travel and shoot outdoors, but on the one hand the Sigma is really not "travel size" and on the other hand, you don't lose so much "zoom capabilities" when you can only can zoom to 70 instead of 105...

A Video on youtube confirmed me regarding the last statement:A Canon 24-105L (which should be more or less the same league as the sigma) was compared to the Tamron 24-70 and a Tamron 70mm image was cropped-to-be 105mm and upscaled and compared to the Canon.. and still the upscaled Tamron appears sharper.

I don't know whether it is allowed to post links here, so just check youtube for the video "

Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 vs. Canon 24-105 f/4 review: Canon walking around lens shootout!"    
So it seems, specifications isn't everything. Whenever you buy a zoom lens, you have to find a compromise, and when your budget is below 1000 Euros, I guess there is no way around the Tamron now... 

Messages In This Thread
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 HSM DG OS | A - by Paul1980 - 02-05-2014, 09:01 PM