Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reasons why despite having excellent products Nikon is losing market share
Quote:Only a matter of time before mirrorless dominates performance across all categories. In terms of shooting performance the A9 already outclasses high end DSLRs in a lot of areas. It just needs some refinements in AF algorithms for certain cases, more lenses and better build quality and there will be no reason to buy a DSLR. 

I'm on your page, Ayoh, who needs a mirror to make good pictures? As soon as one mirrorless company comes out with something made as tool instead as toy, I will become interested. Some features of the new D850 I just don't see at mirrorless - or if they are available, then buried in a ton of menus. A good tool newver is a complicated one, never distracts the user.

Last Sunday I had not only one experience but a couple with a "professional" X-T2 which not must happen. It has a reason Nikon and Camon became big companies, no matter what bullshit their marketing lets out. So just shut up, toni-a, this thing with the 32 male photogs is just speaking for itself. A company would need balls of steel to come through with this - and that's something I don't see in general at Nikon. Luckily, the cameras are not designed by these stupid pricks from their marketing.
Quote:I'm on your page, Ayoh, who needs a mirror to make good pictures? As soon as one mirrorless company comes out with something made as tool instead as toy, I will become interested. Some features of the new D850 I just don't see at mirrorless - or if they are available, then buried in a ton of menus. A good tool newver is a complicated one, never distracts the user.

Last Sunday I had not only one experience but a couple with a "professional" X-T2 which not must happen. It has a reason Nikon and Camon became big companies, no matter what bullshit their marketing lets out. So just shut up, toni-a, this thing with the 32 male photogs is just speaking for itself. A company would need balls of steel to come through with this - and that's something I don't see in general at Nikon. Luckily, the cameras are not designed by these stupid pricks from their marketing.

JoJu if you are into action photography and frustrated by a the Fuji you should try the A9. From my experience it has been very reliable and AF is exceptional. I can get a 90% in focus rate photographing cyclist coming towards me on a nighttime city street at 10fps, 200mm f2.8 ,ISO 25600, 1/320. This is with the Sony 70-200mm GM
I'll keep that in mind, but currently I have too much Nikon/Sigma glass to sell. I haven't look into it, but not all Art lenses are convertible to Sony E-mount. Also, I'm not exactly fan of Sony's menus.

Quote:I'll keep that in mind, but currently I have too much Nikon/Sigma glass to sell. I haven't look into it, but not all Art lenses are convertible to Sony E-mount. Also, I'm not exactly fan of Sony's menus.
Oh i meant borrow one to play around if you can. The menus are also improved as they are categorised a bit more directly and more importantly they have a "my menu" option now where you can add your own shortcut items. Overall its an improvement.

The camera performance is very impressive though. Some items they could still improve are: make the body more rugged, provide a 14bit electronic shutter option (14 bit only available with mechanical shutter) although this only makes a difference for ISO below about 100-200, improve the 4k rolling shutter, add USB 3. Thats about all i can think of. I think the next generation will be seriously difficult for canon or nikon to rival. I hope they will finally enter the high-end mirrorless market though as it would be good to have some more competition.

By the way I expect the upcoming A7r iii / A9r model to be essentially a A99ii in emount form - 42MP, 12FPS etc, reduced lag EVF. It will be a serious alternative to the d850. Alternatively if they go for a high resolution stacked sensor, then using simple scaling of the A9 processor they could do 48MP at 10FPS with black-out free shutter and close to A9 level AF.

Just checked, the daily rental basis would be 180.- for A9 and lens  :o

Bit steep at the moment.

Quote:Just checked, the daily rental basis would be 180.- for A9 and lens  :o

Bit steep at the moment.

The A9 is definitely overpriced at the moment. It can't cost much more to make than the A7rii. I guess they are charging what they feel they can get away with. "Bargains" can be had though, I got mine for about $4300USD equivalent in australia which I could stomach considering the normal price in australia equates to about $5400USD with taxes. 
Here it's about 5700.-

800 more and I get a Fuji GFX 50S - action photos are rare for me.

Quote:Here it's about 5700.-

800 more and I get a Fuji GFX 50S - action photos are rare for me.
And the lenses, how are they priced?
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/niko...orles.html

Interesting find, thanks for sharing
Editor
opticallimits.com