Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reasons why despite having excellent products Nikon is losing market share
The icons are from a friendly Mac-user's website (macinacs.de)

Yesterday I passed by at a motocross race. I stopped, put the 100-400 in front of the X-T2 and tried to get some shots in a (to me) totally new subject.

Now I punished myself with selecting out of 1700 pictures, 95% absolutely crap, but taken at 11fps. I don't know the number of misfocused shots (although the AF-C in this situation did alright an dmost of the time tracked surprisingly well). But when the first picture was not in focus, the whole burst stayed out of focus. Also, few times the camera didn't react - I pushed the shutter release but nothing happened. Maybe I have to check some menu parameters, but under stress I miss some kind of a logical arrangement of the menu. I thought, lucky me there's no assignment on my neck, it doesn't matter if all pictures are not working - I'dbe upset, but nobody else looses anything.

[Image: _DSF2300-XL.jpg]

[Image: _DSF2843-XL.jpg]

That was not the worst: Just before passing the motocross I did some comparisons for Bokeh and had 3 50ish lenses with me (you know, Marcus already was enthusiastic about the 50/2 WR). All of a sudden, the camera didn't switch on. I had to pull the batteries out of the grip and wait a bit to kick it back to life. I don't know and didn't scroll through all menus, but after this kind of reset some parameters were altered.

It's not that Nikon never shows any strange things going on - like not displaying a picture when I push the play button maybe too early (that bit was new with the last firmware update). But compare to any Nikon, to me the X-T2 still feels more like a toy pretending to be a serious tool. There are too much things which Fuji designers have other ideas than I. Which is fine, loads of people are happy Fuji fanboys.

Also, I want to use a camera able to deal with dark low light. The X-T2 clearly is not, AF-C hunts too much in comparatively quiet situations. Pointing the Nikon with AF-C and on a stable tripod towards a stable focus target: No AF hunting. Doing the same with X-T2: My impression is, the cmaer thinks "oh, that fella switched on AF-C, there must be some action, let me find out where, yippiee".

Maybe the Sony RX10 IV would be the better choice to catch motocrosses.

No, I'm getting the D850 first but I'm tempted to get a second DX body preferrably with the same interface as the D850 - which automatically leads to D500 [Image: drinb27x24.gif] And since both fetaure in-body AFMA, the biggest problem I had with DSLR (focus inaccuracy due to indirect "measuring") got better than the biggest problem I have with mirrorless Fuji. Lousy lowlight-capabilities.

I can't don't want to afford two FX bodies.

Messages In This Thread
Reasons why despite having excellent products Nikon is losing market share - by JJ_SO - 09-18-2017, 10:27 AM