Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon goes full format mirrorless as well ?
Looks like it is a DSLR. With half a retro 1970's interface.

Still looks interesting. And "retro" currently sells a lot of cameras, thing of OM-D, Fuji X,...

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Well, I doubt that Nikon will sell a lot of cameras at that price point - retro or not.

They seem to be targeting rich amateurs (even richer ones than those targeted by Fuji and Olympus :lol: ) 

The other thing that I don't get with this camera: the design and the compatibility to non-AI lenses suggest using manual focus Nikkors with the Df, yet I haven't read anything about a focusing screen optimized for manual focus... 

Yep, just saw the rumored price, that's certainly over the top for a camera that is likely less capable than a (cheaper) D800 in many regards. They probably thought that for a camera that is half as manual as a Leica they could easily charge half the price of a Leica...

I was wondering about the screen myself. Wouldn't it be cool if one could use the ancient FM3a screens with it? Wink

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

The FM3a is not ancient, it was produced 7 years ago.

This Df does have a bit of a retro look, but you certainly see the resemblance of the current DSLRs. Overall I find it quite ugly. It is interesting, however, that the font of the "Nikon" on the prism housing is from the FE2 (and before) era and not from the most recent FM3a. This strengthens the impression that they are soley going for the retro looks and not primarily for usability.

That special 50/1.8G would have made sense with an aperture ring, but what the is use of a shutter speed dial without an aperture ring? I can already feel (just by looking at the controls) the weird redundancy of the PASM-dial together with the shutter speed dial. What will happen if the dial is at a fixed shutter speed, but you set aperture priority?
Quote: I can already feel (just by looking at the controls) the weird redundancy of the PASM-dial together with the shutter speed dial. What will happen if the dial is at a fixed shutter speed, but you set aperture priority?

Yes, that looks weird.

Presumably, if you want A-priority, you need to set the mode dial to A, the shutter speed dial to 1/3 step, then set the aperture by the comand dial; if you want S-priority, you need to set the mode dial to S, then set the shutter value by the shutter speed dial (then no 1/3EV step?); if you want M, then you need to set the mode dial to M, then set the shutter speed by the shutter speed dial (no 1/3 EV step again?), and the aperture by the command dial; if you want the P mode, then set the mode dial to P, and set the shutter speed dial to 1/3 step. That looks pretty comlicated, at least for A and P modes.I don't thin it is a smart design (for the model dial and the shutter speed dial).

It looks to me like a strange camera (unsuccessful combination of retro and modern), given the information available so far.

Edit: Just read from dpreview that the shutter release dial is "optional". My understanding is that if you set it to

1/3 step, then you can simply use the model dial to choose P\A\S\M and then use the two comand dials to set apertures/shutter just like with a normal dslr.

Wait a minute. There is a letter "X" on the shutter speed dial, I don't know what it stands for.

From the dpreview first-look: "Also a shame (although not a surprise) is the fact that the Df's focusing screen is fixed. We had hoped for an accessory split-prism focusing screen for manual focus but it's likely that the cost, added bulk and incompatibility with modern pattern metering modes ruled that out at the design stage. Still, we can dream." 

Really disappointing release..  :wacko:
The front and top look ok (but more chunky and bulky, less elegant than the real 70's SLRs). The back is an ugly mess, to be honest.

For the rest? It is a D610, with D3200 battery and D4 sensor.

Its only plus seems to be its compatibility to Nikon F and "K" lenses (also called Pre-AI, non-AI). Would be nice for my Nikkor-S 50mm f2, my Nikkor-SC 55mm f1.2, my micro Nikkor AUTO 55mm f3.5, my Nikkor-H 85mm f1.8 and my Nikkor-Q 135mm f3.5. But that price??

Nah, then i'll just use those lenses on my Canon EOS 6D. Comparable sensor, albeit with a tad higher resolution, switchable focus screen, better ergonomics and better live view. Or use them on my Nikkormat FTn, of course.

Quote:Wait a minute. There is a letter "X" on the shutter speed dial, I don't know what it stands for.
Probably sets the shutter speed to the flash sync speed, a la Pentax.