Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
preview: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 A HSM DG
Quote:…but visually the detail capture looks better and cleaner than my 7D on my usual subject matter (comparing via having used C1 here for 7D which is no slouch in the rez dept.)....and strangely the bokeh looks smoother too....must be my imagination

….anyhow this all might be useful for pz…

The whole discussion is a bit off topic, but the most relevant aspect for lens testing should be sensor resolution and in this regard the 70D is hardly a significant upgrade over the 50D (15 to 20 megapixels is a ~15% increase on either side if I am not mistaken). Lenses that perform well on the 50D will perform well on the 70D. Same thing is true for 5DII & 5DIII and basically all other test cameras on photozone - no need to update.
Quote:The whole discussion is a bit off topic, but the most relevant aspect for lens testing should be sensor resolution and in this regard the 70D is hardly a significant upgrade over the 50D (15 to 20 megapixels is a ~15% increase on either side if I am not mistaken). Lenses that perform well on the 50D will perform well on the 70D. Same thing is true for 5DII & 5DIII and basically all other test cameras on photozone - no need to update.
Felix, I agree... we ran in to "megapixel pollution" on this topic.
Quote:Looking nicer might have more to do with better dynamic range, better noise handling, different color sensitivity and might have little effect in detail capture, what PZ is mostly focused on? Even sharpness might just be better due to a better AF accuracy ;-).

Just my 2 cents
Or improved skill.

All in all, I think the complaint by JoJu is hardly valid. The base cameras are up-to-date enough, and after all it's the lenses that are being evaluated, the camera is but a vehicle for that. I also think that we should be grateful to Klaus and Markus for bringing us these tests they're doing in their free time, free of charge to us. The odd lens out of left field (say, the old Sigma wide trio tested by Markus a little while ago) is an icing on the cake.
Rover, I wasn't complaining - how could I? The site is for free and I never provided a lens to test or did something else than read and answer some posts. It's just - loads of megapixel or not - that Sigma was able to improve their lens quality when they exchanged their aged Kodak testing sensors against their own.

Which - another icing on that cake - is moved four times to get each corner of their full frame lenses. A clear benefit to them, but I guess, the APS C lenses are tested with one sensor without moving, so just the normal 46 MP what Sigma claims to have. Depending on the calculation of RGB bayern pattern they have a point there and a good sensor.

And there are only resolution comparisons depending on the number of Megapixels. A lot of other testing can be done with 12 MP max. Or less. Distortion will not be influenced by resolution, CA? maybe a bit, bokeh none at all and vignetting also none at all.

Partly I think, we're already over the border to be able to see differences in normal viewing distances, given a certain price limit. To me it's a new thing to be generous with framing and crop afterwards. Of course it's better to do that on site instead of in post - but it's great to know some lenses and sensors do have reserves I only could dream of 4-5 years ago. Those reserves don't depend on test camera's resolutions - unless one wants to know in advance about them. To me it's also great to discover them after buying a great lens.

I found that report here quite interesting: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/201...m-the-insi
Understood. But I was thinking of it, and I think that both in Nikon and Canon scope the resolutions are sufficient or even superfluous. A lot of people are using Nikon FX cameras with less resolution like D3s and D4, and 24 MP was oddball only until D600 came along. In Canon scope, there is no big megapixel camera - they're all between 18 and 22 MP. APS-C scope is more difficult but I have a couple of points on this one: first, most of us probably use FF so don't care a whole lot about APS-C reviews, and second, two testing lines (8/10 and 15/16 MP) are probably enough for the time to come. Switching often may lead to further confusion and total loss of comparability like with SLRGear.com - they have been testing lenses with various bodies and one has to bear that in mind all the time.