Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Aperture - what is the future - should one just switch?
Stone age thread, found again. Still no change or revitalising / revical by Apple, still Aperture (AA) users hesitating to abandon ship for anything worse.

I realize the decrease of possibilities is decreasing my fun in taking pictures. I know there are lots of users using RAW-conversion in Photoshop and need a RAW converter only to flip through their files. For them, everything is as sunny as before.

I'm the other way round - as much as possible managing and developing in the converter and only the things it's not up to doing in an external photo-editor. Reason for that: I want to have a library with only RAWs and some preview small JPGs. 16-bit TIF just for a BW conversion or painting a gradient on the sky is not the way I want to go.

I was hoping a bit for Affinity that they take what's left of Aperture and do something great with it, but they are busy to open up their app for Windows,meaning opening the gates for a lot of people not too confident with photo-editing but expecting a lot of help. No offense meant. I understand the business step, but it's not helping much to get a very decent DAM back to life.

So far, I tried also Lyn which basically is a Mac-based photo manager. It has no maps nor face-detection, so two main advantages of AA already are non-existing. Metadata and tags are possible on a very basic level, no ontologies like in Adobe Lightroom. Of course, if no face-detection, than there's also no search for similar pictures.

Lyn is not expensive, so it's is not that much of a surprise.

I was briefly loooking into Photo-mechanic, but except better keywording and map functions, it's again "something else".