Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panasonic GX7 official - sort-of ...
"25% better High ISO performance and 10% better resolution performance compared with the previous GX1." (Cited from http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-lots-of-new-...ndon-time/)

I am not sure  if this justifies GX7 is much better than GX1 in the ISO and resolution aspects (at least no in ISO aspect I think) and how it compares to the E-M5 in these aspects.

The last rumor says that the GX7 sensor has no AA filter! Quite interesting.

However, the XE-1+the 18-55mm lens allures me more because (1) it has better value than the EM-5+the 12-50mm lens; (2) It is very hard if not impossible to get small DoF with a MFT camera and a standard zoom lens.

I'm not sure it is fair to compare the xe-1 to the gx7/e-m5. The xe-1 is geared towards a deliberate sort of photography due to slow focus and laggy evf. This isn't bad mind you I think my better pictuers have been taken this sort of way. The 18-55 is pretty good probably some where inbetween the 12-60 and 12-50 but I've heard quite a few people with issues (decentering, premature failing) - well not heard but read on forum. It is true that people with issues are the loudest but still this lens seems to crop up a bit more than other lenses (olympus or fuji). The 55-200 is also getting rave reviews for resolution and solid value.

-

I've been very tempted to pick up an xe-1 myself - probably will next time there is a promotion - that includes the 55-200. But having played with one in a shop it is a different beast than this camera (for better and worse).

Quote:The last rumor says that the GX7 sensor has no AA filter! Quite interesting.

However, the XE-1+the 18-55mm lens allures me more because (1) it has better value than the EM-5+the 12-50mm lens; (2) It is very hard if not impossible to get small DoF with a MFT camera and a standard zoom lens.
Quote:"25% better High ISO performance and 10% better resolution performance compared with the previous GX1." (Cited from http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-lots-of-new-...ndon-time/)

I am not sure  if this justifies GX7 is much better than GX1 in the ISO and resolution aspects (at least no in ISO aspect I think) and how it compares to the E-M5 in these aspects.
According to Dxomark there is not that much to separate the GX1 from the EM-5 In terms of noise, except at base ISO eventually.  The EM-5 really shines with a much better DR (almost 2 stops at base ISO) until ISO 400 or so. Let´s see what Pana is up to, their continued use of ageing sensor in the latest cam models (G6/GF6) is most irritating. Of note, the old GH2/G5/G6 sensor DR already betters the GX1 by one stop at base ISO. Is Pana determined to screw it up again?
Hello,

-While I'd also prefer to have the EVF on the side, I can't say I had to complain about it being centered AND I noticed I didn't have to adapt to it : I had SLR & DSLR's before ! So there is actually a possible reason why Olympus could have decided to do it like that.

-1/8000 : agreed, sorely missing it, on many occasions.

-Not entirely true, if you use the touch screen, it will use the defined zoom level of magnifiy. up to 10x. It's a really small area at the tip of your finger. It's a work around, but it works fine.

-Don't think we can expect much wonder with this first I.S. but it's a nice move.

-Oly Auto ISO is indeed rather nice but could use EV compensation, something Pentax understood 1000 years ago, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think Panasonic will do it now, they seem allergic to the idea. Shame because it's a major show stopper for me.

All in all, I can't help but think it's only "catching up" and Panasonic has been a little too busy with its G & GH3 and let the GX to rot. They're giving us an EP5 with a nicely integrated EVF. But eventhough the specs look good on paper, I'm doubting it's going to offer the same magnification as the VF4 and eventhough it's "more mp", it's not telling us everything.

The sensor might be a complete different story but I personally can say this has become a non issue for me. We got rid of most of the horrid banding and we've got enough DR that it never bothers me anymore. MFT image quality is here now. I reached a point of bliss.

Quote:I wish Oly would come up with a similar body as it addresses my main issues with the OM-D:
  • Range finder form factor: makes much more sens than the OM-D which wants to be retro, but doesn't make much sense: why the hump for the VF? There is no mirror box! Sony understood that from the get go; I'm glad Panasonic is realizing it too (as well as Fuji)
  • 1/8000: definitely a speed that is needed with MFT as with the numerous fast lenses, 1/4000 is not enough on a bright day (and please don't tell me a ND filter is a good workaround - it is not)
  • Small focus point: Panasonic shines here compared to Oly and their huge focus points that are useless when accurate and precise focusing is needed
  • I hope the GX7' IBIS will be as good as the OM-D, but I guess I can keep dreaming
  • I hope the GX7 will allow one to use auto ISO in manual mode (something none of the Panasonic bodies can do); Pentax (TAv), Nikon and Oly implementations work very well
If the GX7 addresses all these points, I'll definitely buy one even if its price tag is around 1k.
With the updated firmwire the focus speed of XE-1 is not slow any more--though maybe still not matching E-M5's speed. Yes, the EVF is laggy--the EM-5 and Xpro-1's are much better. I don't know if this issue can be fixed with future firmwire or not. I share with you about the "problem" of the 18-55mm length, which makes me hesitate to pick up it.

Quote:I'm not sure it is fair to compare the xe-1 to the gx7/e-m5. The xe-1 is geared towards a deliberate sort of photography due to slow focus and laggy evf. This isn't bad mind you I think my better pictuers have been taken this sort of way. The 18-55 is pretty good probably some where inbetween the 12-60 and 12-50 but I've heard quite a few people with issues (decentering, premature failing) - well not heard but read on forum. It is true that people with issues are the loudest but still this lens seems to crop up a bit more than other lenses (olympus or fuji). The 55-200 is also getting rave reviews for resolution and solid value.

-

I've been very tempted to pick up an xe-1 myself - probably will next time there is a promotion - that includes the 55-200. But having played with one in a shop it is a different beast than this camera (for better and worse).
The announcement and first impressions by dpr are now available. The quality of the EVF remains to be seen (some "tearing" may be present) and it looks as if Pana used indeed not the Sony sensor employed in the GH3/EM-5, which is potentially a major weakness of the GX7. 
Interesting ... covers 100% of the Adobe RGB color space.

Confused by these EVF tech terms: what is the difference between dots and pixels? Resolution is 1,280 x 720 pixels (921600 pixels) but there are 2.76 million "dots"?

With EVFs, someone had the less than bright idea to count each color dot seperately. Since each pixel consists of three dots, marketing gets a three times higher pixel count to shout out. Similar to what Foveon does.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com