Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panasonic GX7 official - sort-of ...
Quote:With EVFs, someone had the less than bright idea to count each color dot seperately. Since each pixel consists of three dots, marketing gets a three times higher pixel count to shout out.

In case of the NEX-6/7 there are only "only" 2.3 million dots but the same resolution in pixels compared to the GX7 (2.76 million dots, 3 dots per pixel). Just 2.5 dots per pixel then?

Answer found: shared dots between pixels...

As expected a pricey thing. Introduction price in Sweden 9999 SKR = 1093 EUR.

Quote:Interesting ... covers 100% of the Adobe RGB color space.
At first I also thought it was nice but then I was wondering about its operational relevance ? Wider color reproduction isn't really interesting when presenting it in a viewfinder, but if it translates to a wider dynamic range ?

It's unclear to me, didn't take much time to think about it, if a wider color gamut translates in wider brightness levels ? which I think would be more interesting for an EVF ?

or am I missing something ?
I'd say this is about smoother tonality.

Quote:Wider color reproduction isn't really interesting when presenting it in a viewfinder
It offers better color rendition according to Panasonic.
Quote:With EVFs, someone had the less than bright idea to count each color dot seperately. Since each pixel consists of three dots, marketing gets a three times higher pixel count to shout out. Similar to what Foveon does.

-- Markus

I think the issue is sort of kultural and deeply engrained with the Bayer sensors. They sort of do the same. A so-called 12 MP is (as most here know) 6 MP green and 3 MP in red and blue. To me this is a 6 MP sensor at best (luminance channel) and 3 MP in the colour channels. The typical 3000 * 4000 pixel output of such a sensor is interpolated up.

What they do in the finders is totally in line with the above cheat.

My 0.02 $,£,€

Joachim
enjoy
The AE/AF Lock buttonon GX7 looks very nice. It even has a AF-MF switcher and more importantly has a nice distance to other buttons. I always use this button to AF but on GF1 I often mispress the button because the AEL/AFL button is just nearby the playback button. The situation on the E-M5 looks even worse. Weirdly, I did not find this button on the back of EP5. The AE/AF on XE1/Xpro1 also looks nice.

Edit: I just find out that the Rec button on EP5 can be configured to function as AE/AF lock when shooting still images (not movies). It is nice.

Frank

Quote:The last rumor says that the GX7 sensor has no AA filter! Quite interesting.
The rumor remained unconfirmed. Thus, the GX7 comes with AA filter.
I tried to evaluate image quality on base ISO RAW files of the dpreview test image, see here:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/9

Overall, the EM-1 and the GX7 shots look very, very similar. However, in the high-res chart part the GX7 does not convince.

Don´t know what went wrong here, the Oly E-P5 looks also pretty poor in this part of the image suggesting that there could be technical issues at work.
Quote:I think the issue is sort of kultural and deeply engrained with the Bayer sensors. They sort of do the same. A so-called 12 MP is (as most here know) 6 MP green and 3 MP in red and blue. To me this is a 6 MP sensor at best (luminance channel) and 3 MP in the colour channels.
That of course is not true. All channels contain luminance information to the same extent. You get pretty close to 12MP in detail. And in colour, you do not go down to 3MP either. Pixels do not get binned! You have a too simplistic view of how the data is extrated from the recorded values.

Quote:The typical 3000 * 4000 pixel output of such a sensor is interpolated up.

What they do in the finders is totally in line with the above cheat.
No, it is not at all. In the view finders there is no interpolation going on, no demosaicing. It is not at all comparable.

Quote:My 0.02 $,£,€

Joachim
Bad investment for those 2 cents, there Wink