Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma AF 70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro for Nikon FX
Is there any review for the Sigma AF 70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro on a Nikon DX available?

When looking at DXO Mark the Nikkor 85 mm 1.8 G achieves much better results than the Sigma. Looking at sharpness only, the Sigma performs better in many reviews. Therefore, I would like to get a final word on this one.

Thank you.

Quote:Is there any review for the Sigma AF 70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro on a Nikon DX available?
In the thread title, you talk about "FX", here you say "DX".

Anyway, here the full frame test for the Sigma 70mm:

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_f...ff?start=1

This lens is about as sharp as one can get it, both on APS-C and on full frame.

The Nikon AF-S 85mm f1.8 is also a sharp lens. The Sigma is a tad sharper. Does that in any way matter? I think not. 

Make any decision on what you want to use the lens for. The 85mm goes down to f1.8, the 70mm goes down to 1:1.

Quote:When looking at DXO Mark the Nikkor 85 mm 1.8 G achieves much better results than the Sigma. Looking at sharpness only, the Sigma performs better in many reviews. Therefore, I would like to get a final word on this one.
DXO lens tests are in my opinion rather useless. Of course, sometimes they find a good lens to be good at times. But many times one has to wonder what the heck they are doing.

Quote:Thank you.
Thank you for your reply. I meant FX.

The full frame test is on a Canon body not on Nikon. I own a D800 and I am looking for a very sharp standard lens.

Thank you.

Quote:Thank you for your reply. I meant FX.

The full frame test is on a Canon body not on Nikon. I own a D800 and I am looking for a very sharp standard lens.

Thank you.
The lens will not behave differently just because it is on a Canon body. So, the test on the Canon FF body is just as valid as a test on a Nikon body.

70mm is nor a standard lens, the term standard prime is reserved for 35 to 50mm lenses on FF (depending on usage).

Like I said above, both the Sigma 70mm and the Nikon 85mm are very sharp, no matter on which body you use them, with a tiny edge for the Sigma. Do take into account that diffraction will start to limit resolution above f5.6 anyway, so any slight differences between the lenses in sharpness (which anyway are not perceptible by looking at photos....) disappear above f5.6 on a D800.

A sharp standard prime for your camera: Nikkor AF-S 50mm f1.8. Or the manual focus Voigtlander 40mm f2 SL II. Or the manual focus Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S.

Hi all,

New here, but been lurking quite a while! Have both lenses, and they have easily found a place in my heart. Both!

First the 85/1.8G is light and cheerful, not least when used on the D600, pretty amazing lens - also use it on my Nikon V1, and my NEX, occasionally!

The Sigma 70 is a different baby in every way. Don't mind backlighting a bit, but is pretty heavy, neither true for the 85/1.8G. In macro mode I prefer to use my V1, which doesn't mix too well with the Sigma!

So due to its portability, the Nikon wins, but both are immensely impressive!

Sharpness is not an issue with either!