Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
preview: Olympus Lens Cap 15mm f/8
http://photozone.smugmug.com/Reviews/oly15f8

if that is a good sample it is awful.

Hi,

Personally, I'm pleasantly surprised,sharpness in the center of the frame is decent, yes, it degrades towards the edges but still usable for smaller prints.Bang for buck factor,not bad. Are we going to get a resolution test graph?

Quote:if that is a good sample it is awful.
....well at 4.5 stars at B&H, k had better send it back for one of those high quality copies, after all it should be ace at $49....

- or should we wait for the zeiss plastic fantastic version

Yes, technically it's crap. And I hate the handling.

I'm not sure we looked at the same picture - the center looked pretty bad to me - but maybe it works better close up than it does @ distance. Does this thing focus or is it fixed? To be honest I'm not sure it does much better than my phone camera (even if the sensor is better on the 4/3 body).

Quote:Hi,

Personally, I'm pleasantly surprised,sharpness in the center of the frame is decent, yes, it degrades towards the edges but still usable for smaller prints.Bang for buck factor,not bad. Are we going to get a resolution test graph?
I think we should be fair - the dead center IS sharp. THis is also supported by the MTFs.

However, the drop in performance is rather drastic from here on.

I cannot know whether I got a good or bad sample - the resolution seems symmetrical though.

I got the 'lens' for 49$ in the US so it's hard to complain somehow. That said there is not a hell of a difference in size compared to the pancakes (Oly 17/2.8, Pana 14/2.5 or 20/1.7).

Quote:I think we should be fair - the dead center IS sharp. THis is also supported by the MTFs.

However, the drop in performance is rather drastic from here on.

I cannot know whether I got a good or bad sample - the resolution seems symmetrical though.

I got the 'lens' for 49$ in the US so it's hard to complain somehow. That said there is not a hell of a difference in size compared to the pancakes (Oly 17/2.8, Pana 14/2.5 or 20/1.7).

Well, I think you've summed it up fairly, Klaus,no great lens but for the price of a couple of rounds of beers (with the whiskey chasers)  can't grumble!
If you make something cheap enough, people are more willing to forgive any weaknesses. In that sense, value is more important than absolute performance.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.