•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So finally ... the Nikon D850
These are only JPGs, probably out of Camera. So I'm really looking forward to play with the RAW-results.

Quote:The rich blacks, contrasty strings and the beautiful worn corners of ISO 25600 bass contra shots tells you everything.

Truly amazing!
Really amazing result, takeing into account thata this is test for cammera not designed to be used. High MP camera targets landscape and studio shoots.

Well, this one is a lot of all: fast fps, high resolution and some nice software features like the silent shutter for focus stacks and timelapses.

Quote:Really amazing result, takeing into account thata this is test for cammera not designed to be used. High MP camera targets landscape and studio shoots.

It can be used for sport shoots as well, provided AF is good enough. High MPs mean that cropping is never a problem.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Quote:It can be used for sport shoots as well, provided AF is good enough. High MPs mean that cropping is never a problem.

Kind regards, Wim
It has always been a tradeoff. It is not the best choice for sport. You need a speed to freeze the action. Unfortunately in real life , the sport events are at night or indoor. You need the fastest glass and the highest ISO, resolution has never been an issue.

It is physical lows. It remembers me my teacher. He gives the ducks as example in nature - it can fly walk and swim but is never the best.

I still see the combo white lenses + 8 year old Canon 1d mk4 as decent competitor in this area
   Maybe this image will shed some light (or lack of it) on the subject of noise in under-exposed subjects;

I shot this forgetting to expose correctly.....the image is under-exposed by "4 full stops", as you can see there is very little to see if anything in the original exposure........bringing up the exposure to a normal level, low and behold there's plenty of image detail to be found!

The image had a decent amount of noise reduction added, but what is left is usable considering the mess of the exposure I made.

What I like is the ISO invariance of the Nikon files, there is very little difference between a 4 stop underexposure at say ISO100 and a correct one at ISO 1600, when correcting for equal brightness in PP!

Shot on the D500 at 250 ISO

4 Stops are no problem with the sensors Nikon uses. And I like the result very much - great to save such a shot!

Quote: there is very little difference between a 4 stop underexposure at say ISO100 ...

Once upon a time people used to preach ETTR (Expose To The Right).

I always argued with them that the best exposure for a shot was the correct exposure. But no, there was this school of thought that you had to push the histrogram as far to the right as possible. Maybe they were a bunch of rednecks. Who know?

Finally, people have got it that with just about any camera these days as long as the highlights are more or less protected your image will be fine.

Getting 4 stops underexposure? That can only happen with people who insist on shooting 100% in M mode.

But that's getting into shooting A vs M, and let's not go there. 

As a side note, I just dropped 130€ to get the internal flash fixed on my D800.

Another good reason to get the D850. My total cost could have been under $3000 (3300-130 - 160km trip x2).
As anon topic note on your side note, you fixed the internal flash of your D800, apparently you need it? Or not?

Getting the D850 certainly will cure any internal flash issues, as it has none..

Quote:As anon topic note on your side note, you fixed the internal flash of your D800, apparently you need it? Or not?
As simple fill flash, a built-in flash sometimes is handy. And also if you want to remote control off-camera flashes.
Editor
opticallimits.com

•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next