•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So finally ... the Nikon D850
Well, Fuji already killed it for me. And with 1.4TB the Nikon lib is already a candidate for "close to the end" but I'm still amazed how well Aperture handles this chunk of pictures.

Interesting: The new D850 has a new menu "film digitalizing" or something like that. Together with a neagtive and slide adapter, some tubes and a diffusor, the camera serves as well as negative scanner which saves "scanned" color negatives color-corrected as JPGs. It's not rocket science, but quite a nice idea. (lens not included, but there must be some kind of additional optics)

Well Nikon have announced a US price of $3,296.95  that seems to be very reasonable indeed, exactly the same price as the 5D MKIV !   There's no comparison between the two cameras....... the Nikon leaves the Canon in the dust!

But who would buy the D5 now?

It leaves it in the dirt of the dust of the dust. Smile

Who would buy a D5? Every pro who wants 2 XQD cards or CF cards for whatever reason. And every person who needs to put his name authentified into the EXIF. And everybody who doesn't like to drive nails into a wall with a simple hammer. Also the people saying "sorry, the real Trump is just not worth 45 MP"
Quote: Isn't it BC?   My guess is will please many looking for that shallow depth of field on that FF sensor!

You get that at 1080P too. 4K is all about extra resolution, and the pixel binning is not the best solution for that (the Sony A9 does oversampling).

Like I said, another hampered 4K feature like so many.

Personally I am not interested in 4K capabilities, though.

Nikon are making another solid well built camera with no spectacular innovations, hope then innovation is in reliability. From a marketing point of view this camera i to cannibalize the sales of D5 as Dave said, Nikon need to reshape their marketing strategies, and it's obvious their marketing isn't a WOW, D850 has by far more features than 5DmkIV (aside video auto-focus which is a major plus for Canon though) yet again is expected to sell much more, same goes for D500/7D

I think Nikon is doing fine in terms of DSLR users....or is it we just want "it all now and in ML form"? 

Nikon's perfecting the DSLR quite simply.......and giving us the lot.   

No revolutions, but for the moment I'm not looking for one......costly things revolutions!
And someone has to be "first against the wall when the revolution comes" Big Grin

Volunteers?

Innovations? Don"t think Nikon dares to innovate (meaning "something unseen or unthought before") but specwise it has all and a bit more what could be expected. With video or video AF I will wait to talk about until I make my own poor attempts. Quite the internet syndrome: judging a thing before trying for myself. I'm not free of that but will try to improve.

It's not only another solid camera, toni. 9 fps and one frame is something like 70 MB in compressed Raw. I don't believe one of my harddrives will write 630 MB/s. Also, the in-camera AFMA will certainly make life easier. As well as the illuminated buttons and tiltable touchscreen. Which itself is a revolution in Nikon FF land.
Looking at the sample images, higher ISO noise performance is not that impressive as some might think. ISO 4000 already is pretty noisy, not anything were are not used to for many years in other DSLRs (luckily for Nikon the Canon 5DS-R still is noisier).

http://www.scvr.nl/images/vb_02.jpg

And lifting shadows 4 stops at ISO 100 is not at all suggesting very high DR figures either (nothing like the D800/810).

Download Original

I do not care much about that high DR at base ISO thing, but I wonder what all the "we need 14+ stops of DR" posters will say now.

They will remain in peace and leave you in your own universe of "I decided to stay happy with the DR Canon so generously provided to me". Smile

Why not? Not everybody faces critical light situations. Before I don't have seen my own pictures at high ISO, I will not judge the new kid in town. Since you don't need high ISO or high DR numbers you're for sure the right person to tell us what's good and what not [\sarcasm]
Another silly reaction from JoJu. 

See the ISO 100 RAW yourself, for the DR of the D850. And you praise Sigma cameras, with the lowest DR imaginable.

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next