•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So finally ... the Nikon D850
Quote:Once upon a time people used to preach ETTR (Expose To The Right).

I always argued with them that the best exposure for a shot was the correct exposure. But no, there was this school of thought that you had to push the histogram as far to the right as possible. Maybe they were a bunch of rednecks. Who know?

Finally, people have got it that with just about any camera these days as long as the highlights are more or less protected your image will be fine.

Getting 4 stops underexposure? That can only happen with people who insist on shooting 100% in M mode.

But that's getting into shooting A vs M, and let's not go there. 

I shoot a lot in manual mode actually, at -1, but not usually at - 4 stops..  :blink:

The D750 has even better DR (14.5ev) and I get about 1-1.5 stops less noise, (which is being returned for the Nikon shutter recall.....a freebee btw!)  
Quote:As anon topic note on your side note, you fixed the internal flash of your D800, apparently you need it? Or not?

Getting the D850 certainly will cure any internal flash issues, as it has none..

As Marcus says, the internal flash is handy.

Maybe I was trying to be humorous. Or not.

As much I want the D850, I doubt that I will get one. I've already taken two hits by paying full price on a D300 and then the D800.

So yeah, I've added 130€ to my habit but on the other hand have saved $3100+.
Plus the drive to Ljubljana, but that was pleasure as well, I guess  Smile

It's common sense to call the built in flash handy, but I don't know how much pictures I would find when I really needed it. And my usual LED torch was not available - I prefer that for macro shots. The lens is never in the way and I see where the shadows cover important parts. Also, for triggering the off-camera flash, there's a little plastic part to cover the internal flash with an IR-filter, just to not influence the object. Don't have that part and if I had it I would leave it at home very likely. Like other "practical" accessories...

The question remains who is really in need of 46mp.

But then I shouldn't ask this - after all I have a 4x4 that I'm driving in town for 99% of the time.

You guys tested a couple of lenses I also could ask the "who needs this?" question B) . Given the preorders, more than a dozen...

I would primarily see it as something close to a D5 but able to switch soccer shirts to tuxedo for weddings.

“The question remains who is really in need of 46mp.”

That's a bit like asking who really needs a 13 1/2" penis. Believe it or not that is the record on earth.

Similarly, I have this flash cover SG-3IR which I have actually never used. It was such a bother to put on and take off that I just put my hand in front of the flash. Also, you could set the internal flash to zero yet still trigger external flashes in Commander mode.

What I find interesting is that even though MP has increased 25% ISO has improved by 2 stops.
I don't think this penis comparison is helpful - it's not artificially made or designed and the top of professional sensors is around 100 MP. These are computable although not with a smartphone and these sensor-backs are on sale. There's no real practical benefit of an abnormal body part while the 46 MP automatically lead to an APS-C coverage of 20 MP - and save one extra camera which I find pretty nice for crops.

Although for some testers  Wink it appears to be impossible to get to an optical rating of a lens if the sensor is too big. That reminds me of an "interview" I think Adorama had with two Nikon reps. Being asked which lenses they would recommend for their camera, one immediately said "goldring Nikkors" and at least one viewer immediately thought "that just won't do, fellas"  Big Grin

Oh no, silly me: It wasn't Adorama, it was Nikon themselves who answered to user questions in their livestream

Who needs 46 Mps is probably not the primary question, as you can choose from RAW 46/25/11 Mps, the question is who wants the D850 and why?

My answer is that it's for those who don't want just a new feature here or an extra Mp there.....but actually want the lot.....and feels that this camera gives exactly that.

As JoJu remarked you buy a FF D850 and get a free Dx D500 built in under the hood, but with FF 4K video in a format that is practical, only seemingly lacking is the PD on sensor AF........ common Nikon get it on!

Nikon have shown that they "want to give the entire package" and that is the most impressive thing about the camera, like the  D500 did for sports shooter.

This is a great change in "company attitude" instead of feeding us just enough to keep us hanging on the hook until the next model, (eg. headphone sockets /focus peaking and decent buffers etc.)

......it gives us the "Full Monty" right now!

There's just a little sense of "Fuji" about the situation, listening and wanting to please it's customers with no holding back, that to me is what I want from a company right now and Nikon is doing it!

In short it's Nikon's          ..<i>pièce de résistance!</i>

<i> </i>

<i>       </i>

Quote:     Who needs 46 Mps is probably not the primary question, as you can choose from RAW 46/25/11 Mps, the question is who wants the D850 and why?

I agree with most of your points, but the RAW-size I had to learn to be very careful about it's use - with respect to 3rd party RAW-converters. It took a very long while until Capture One fully supported the various RAW-sizes of D7100 (which is no pro-camera, but anyway covered with a list of "supported cameras"). Same with Fuji X-T2 compressed RAW support.

But in theory, this can save a lot diskspace.

Note: the 25 and 11mp sRAW are not actually RAW at all. They do not contain RAW data and do not have the headroom of RAW either. Nikon's sRAW is already demosaiced and reconstructed (and downsampled from full res.), with 11 bits of data instead of the 14 bits of the full res. real RAW.

Canon's mRAW and sRAW also are demosaiced, reconstructed and downsampled from full res., but with 14 bits of data.

So think of the D850's sRAW as glorified (11 bits vs 8 bits (or 14 bits vs 8 bits with Canon)) JPEGs. One better uses the  12bit lossy compressed NEF option instead of sRAW, if space saving and WB and exposure headroom of RAW is important to you.

•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next