•  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So finally ... the Nikon D850
Ah, sorry, my bad... I totally forgot about the option of setting an FX camera to DX mode, I honestly rarely ever do that. Of course you're right, that would create roughly the same NEFs. So there goes that point.

However: the speed argument still applies. And for the kind of events where I personally need that speed, I'd probably take two cameras anyway. So the weight is no issue. So, one reason left in favor of the D500... please don't argue that away, otherwise I run out of excuses Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:AF point coverage of a D850 / D5 are exactly the same in APS-C mode as with a genuine APS-C D500. All three bodies share the same AF module.
Yes, I'm aware of that. This was also already true with the D300 and the D3 series cameras (at least in terms of coverage). However, I always felt more comfortable using the D300 viewfinder with the wider viewfinder (!) AF coverage than any of the D3-series cameras when I already knew I'd have to crop later (due to lack of focal length, for example).
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:   We seem to be in perfect harmony today JoJu!  Wink

:wub:  My goodness! Let's do something against it! Hmmm.... equivalence? Did we talk about  that today?

:lol:
Quote:Yes, I'm aware of that. This was also already true with the D300 and the D3 series cameras (at least in terms of coverage). However, I always felt more comfortable using the D300 viewfinder with the wider viewfinder (!) AF coverage than any of the D3-series cameras when I already knew I'd have to crop later (due to lack of focal length, for example).

As far as I know, in the D850 will not be only lines to indicate APS-C usage but also a fully blacked-out area. So, I have one use for the additional Fn2 button: "Switch to APS-C. NOW!"  Wink

Later cropping doesn't help me saving disk (or card)- space. But you're right, the D500 is less expensive and doesn't need a lot of furniture around the cam to be really fast. It has a touchscreen and tilt-display as well and uses the very same set of buttons and wheels.

Or did Nikon change the layout of their 4 button wheel on the left top side again, with each new cam? Anyway the usage concept of both models is the same. I found it very confusing at first to change from U1/U2 to this benches in the menu and I still think, it's not the best in ergonomics. But I got used to it.

Quote:Ah, sorry, my bad... I totally forgot about the option of setting an FX camera to DX mode, I honestly rarely ever do that. Of course you're right, that would create roughly the same NEFs. So there goes that point.

However: the speed argument still applies. And for the kind of events where I personally need that speed, I'd probably take two cameras anyway. So the weight is no issue. So, one reason left in favor of the D500... please don't argue that away, otherwise I run out of excuses Wink

Well, a second body is always necessary - accidents do happen and being there while a camera body lets you down is no fun at all. In terms of weight, the D500 has an advantage over the D850 (especially, if you want to make the latter fast). And I think being at a sports event with only one body lets you miss a lot of situations simply becasue you'd be fiddling around with lenses. Which is a pain or impossible to do in rain - or are you just a sunshine-boy?A pain and a risk, as the big ones tend to fall down easily.

If you ever run out of reasons, just give me a shout  ^_^

Big Grin
Quote:As far as I know, in the D850 will not be only lines to indicate APS-C usage but also a fully blacked-out area. So, I have one use for the additional Fn2 button: "Switch to APS-C. NOW!"  Wink
The D3x can do this already Wink 

Quote:Later cropping doesn't help me saving disk (or card)- space. But you're right, the D500 is less expensive and doesn't need a lot of furniture around the cam to be really fast. It has a touchscreen and tilt-display as well and uses the very same set of buttons and wheels.

...and batteries and memory cards Smile
Editor
opticallimits.com

Well, it's not so easy to find a Nikon DSLR above D7xxx and below D4/5 which doesn't use EN-EL15  Wink

D3x I don't know. Just lack of interest in museum stuff  Tongue

Quote: :wub:  My goodness! Let's do something against it! Hmmm.... equivalence? Did we talk about  that today?

:lol:

Please please spare me that... (oh the agony!)    

All I want is a life......already!

It's a bit of hypothetical discussion, isn't it? Who on mother earth will use the D850 at lower than maximum resolution?

It's like driving on the autobahn in a Porsche and to decide that 50km/h is good enough today.

It's a bigger challenge to drive a Porsche slow.  <_< Not that I ever drove such a thing.

I do not wish to try this slightly fake sRAW or mRAW as it is no RAW anymore - I just looking to a highres APS-C inside a highres FX. Two days left...

•  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next