•  Previous
  • 13(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So finally ... the Nikon D850
Well, for 10.000 + ISO and in this poor light the expectations can't be low enough - I've seen much worse at lower ISOs, so I think it's a matter of personal demand. I still say not too shabby and I don't see other sensors coing up with massively better high ISO files. Especially not at this (theoretical) resolution, which is nearly gone in a 5 digit ISO range. There a renot many cameras for direct comparison and I'm afraid a 5D SR will not come close - there's too much development between it's introduction and the D850.

As for the RAW becoming significantly smaller: It's my own rule, but if I want to have max. quaility, I'm not going to limit myself with smaller RAW files just to discover afterwards "the bigger are the better ones". Maybe it's worth to try if the downsampled files have less noise at high ISO.

I agree that not many will do better, but I find the results shown rather useless, even at this very low resolution.
To be honest: I don't understand the photog's approach closing the aperture to f/10. If I'm desperately raising ISOs, I'm already close to open aperture (maybe one step down) and I'm also close to slowing down shutterspeed. Raising ISO above 6400 is something I do as exception.

Quote:To be honest: I don't understand the photog's approach closing the aperture to f/10. If I'm desperately raising ISOs, I'm already close to open aperture (maybe one step down) and I'm also close to slowing down shutterspeed. Raising ISO above 6400 is something I do as exception.
I totally agree, it was only done to reach the high ISO.
Nikon increased the price. From 3500.- to 3600.- in october. No wonder - in USA I saw D850 at eBax for around 4500.-$

New toy tool has arrived. I'm pretty baffled. I had no specific expectations except it's a great camera, but that was out of doubt already.

I also don't want to create a new "test", "review" "hands-on" or whatever as there are already billions of these things around. My impressions are mixed. It shares the "50" with the D750. And the shutter sound reminds me more on that body than on the D810. "bang" versus "whopp", it sounds much sharper and also louder. So, the silent shutter is a possibility. But for what I wanted it - dark scenes, superfast AF (both will work, I'm pretty sure) silent shutter is no option, due to slow LiveView AF and rolling shutter effects. But who knows, maybe it's not that bad.  Rolleyes

Very nice: This camera makes a difference between the 24-105 Sigma Art and the 105 Micro Nikkor - both were the same for the D810.

Touchscreen - a.ma.zinggg!  :wub:

High ISO - wow. ISO finetuning (shorter or longer shutter speeds than the reciprocity rule 1/FL) I haven't found at the moment.  Huh

AF microadjustment - that is strange: I tried a couple of lenses which I had to adjust, Nikkors as well as Sigmas. With this camera most of them are suddenly spot on or close to. No explanation for that at the moment, except I did a lot of close-ups or close range. Tomorrow I want to try a bit more with this focusing stuff. It's weird, but welcome. I just think, I'm a bit mislead at the moment.

When I wanted to import the first files for XQD card, I couldn't see them. So I had to copy them to the SD-card which was pretty quick. Neither Capture One, nor digital images on Mac could recognize the XQD card.

Quote:AF microadjustment - that is strange: I tried a couple of lenses which I had to adjust, Nikkors as well as Sigmas. With this camera most of them are suddenly spot on or close to. No explanation for that at the moment, except I did a lot of close-ups or close range. Tomorrow I want to try a bit more with this focusing stuff. It's weird, but welcome. I just think, I'm a bit mislead at the moment.

Same here with 7Dmkii 17-55 had severe front focusing on 750D and my 50f1.4 had back focusing on 5D to my surprise both are spot on , on 7Dmkii
SnapBridge is not that superbad - it already worked.

High ISO is just a world beyond D810, same for the AF, incredible.

Also great: Capture One already deals with this exotic M and S RAW, as well as with 1:1 ratio and DX. I need to look more into it, but the smaller RAWs could be cool for high ISO where the high MP just makes noise particles look a bit more different  Big Grin

Beautiful evening sky today.

[Image: _DSC0151-XL.jpg]

The full size picture and a crop out of it â†“

[Image: _DSC015103.jpg]
And here's why I think it's good to have enough DR (which is more than 12 stops...)

Original â†“
[Image: _DSC015301-XL.jpg]
1/50, f/5.6 ISO 200

After using highlight and shadow slider â†“
[Image: _DSC0153-XL.jpg]

And a crop at the end of the picture which I haven't even focused on â†“
[Image: _DSC015302.jpg]

I like this 14 mm beast  ^_^ Great fit for that camera.

•  Previous
  • 13(current)
  • Next