•  Previous
  • 17(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So finally ... the Nikon D850
Quote:It's still as complicated as it was with PS CS6 years ago?

In Aperture as well as in in Capture, I just can simply copy and paste current settings to as much pictures as I want to select. Or save them as a style.

You can also select multiple images at the same time, work on the Primary Variant only and shift+click the diagonal arrow button on the tool when you're pleased with the result, which will apply the same effect to all selected images. It's even faster than copy-paste because it's one click and you see all the images at the same time.

Having a second screen helps greatly there.
obican, that's new for me, thanks for the hint.

dave, "open a picture" is the first thing I simply do not need to do. I guess, we have a very different workflow. I do not fiddle around with ugly and complicated RAW-converters which first need a change in settings.  Big Grin "Adobe? No thank you!"

Quote:No matter how 4K that thing will be - I don't fance video in a DSLR anyway as the whole concept of use is far away of practical. In case it is bad, it's a good thing to comfort the poor Canon shooters.  Big Grin There has to be a least some thing Canon does better.

I suppose you mean other than actually working!  :ph34r:

Just kidding!  I'm not starting a war, and I am not even in this league in any case.  It's just fun to be true to your school!  From what I can see this camera is the holy grail for Nikon shooters.  I am married to Canon and love my wife and kids, so I happy for others who have found a harmonious union!
Adobe ACR + CS6  will always be my go to.......... but then I'm not doing multiple batch shooting...

In my Pentax days I used the K01 ML body with a Hoodman style magnifier on the rear LCD screen and it worked fine and steadied the camera........now a few years on they seem to have lost popularity and are difficult to find for the larger 3.2" LCDs.  If I can find an appropriate hood I'll try it on the D500.

Nikon's reliability has waned somewhat......and Nikon France aren't that sympathetic on the phone.......waiting for the return of the D750 for the shutter replacement!......

For the D810 I have a (seldom used) loupe. It fits with a thin metal frame instead of the protection plastic cover. Inside the loupe are magnets and it's very quick to attach and in good optical quality - it just needs nearly the same space like a lens. For magnification the LCD zoom keys are easier.

I don't know if I want (not to mention "can") to attach / modify this D810 loupe to the tiltable display. I find the split screen (in LiveView) pretty usable. What I could use would be a small display shade to protect the LCD gaainst direct sunlight.

Hi  JoJu!

I'm trying to find out the real world buffer depth of the D850 in "14 bit lossless compressed" format..and any other form that you have.....with all correction setting turned off...........

..............Nikon has been claiming a 51 shot buffer but is a little vague about the RAW format used......I saw a test from Matt Granger which shows it's around 23 images, but it did include small Jps.  

If you get a moment, it would be nice to know......thanks in advance!

I'd say, it's no problem to find out - but some reasons I could imagine to be difficult for a clear result:

It's a difference of 2 fps if you use it with or without battery grip AND stronger EN-EL18bbattery. 2 addiitonal files per second can fill up the buffer quicker, as writing speed stays the same. The same if you use CL shooting mode. Slower filling, more pcitures to write.

If you need an overview: In the manual, page 269, "Capacity of buffer memory", Nikon states 51 RAW 14 bit losless with battery EN-EL15a (no matter with or without grip - the battery has a lower voltage, I assume) or 29 with EN-EL18b (fully charged, I think). The more compressed and the less bits color depth, the more frames are needed to fill up the buffer - so, processing speed is not critical, writing speed is.

What brings me to the question which kind and type of memeory card Matt used? Nikon again specs it like Sony QD-64E XQD, 100 ISO. Bigger cards, slower cards, high frequently used cards (instead of a new one) are also slower in writing.

Thanks JoJu, 

Yes, Nikon states 51 Raw uncompressed images............it's just that I haven't seen proof of that and somehow I can't imagine Matt trying to save a few shillings on a slow card, he found only about 23, hope he had all corrections off! 

well, I tried, and here's what I found:

Camera on M, no AF, open aperture, 1/1000, Nikon lens, battery freshly charged (EN-EL15a) 14bit lossless RAW-L.

Sony XQD G 64 GB, 400MV/s: about 43 pictures until it slows down

Lexar XQD 2933× 440MB/s (reading, I guess... ): 49

Sandisk Extreme Pro 300MB/s SDXC II: 26

Poor Matt. Bad memory card... so easily "issues" are coming up.  Tongue

And besides: When? When, for heavens sake, does anybody need 45 MP at 7fps for more than 7 seconds? Which AF can track subjects that fast and accurate? How high the ISO need to be to get sharp pictures?

Ok,  Hmmm.. just shows you in fact, on the one hand an experienced man, on the other..... hmmm, what was Matt doing.....well technically? 

.....I was beginning to doubt the buffer...a little....but it seems to be back on track!

Thanks to our Nikon D850 correspondant!.......... (JoJu)....... Rolleyes    

•  Previous
  • 17(current)
  • Next