Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The lens cap (15mm f/8)
It just arrived together with the 17/1.8 - it is dirt cheap in the US (double price in Oz) that I just added it to the order.

So far I didn't realized that it has a focus lever. :-) No EXIF data because it has no electronics so you have to select 'shoot without lens' on the camera.

It's quite funny that even Olympus isn't sure what it is. On their various websites it is either listed as accessory (cap) or lens.

Quote:....(double price in Oz)....
well i'm picking up stuff locally here at about the same price as from the US now (although maybe not lens caps though) - anyhow why? - ah you see i can buy the shop demo lens here, and the last one just this week is good 

but centering probs etc, no returns? - no worries, it has knobs on the side to do all of that ;-)

- and dare i say i've found a shop that did in fact replace the boxed version with the shop demo the next day - nice shop digi d

....still it looks like you will now have a lovely f/8 pin hole camera, good one 

Quote:It just arrived together with the 17/1.8 - it is dirt cheap in the US (double price in Oz) that I just added it to the order.

So far I didn't realized that it has a focus lever. :-) No EXIF data because it has no electronics so you have to select 'shoot without lens' on the camera.

It's quite funny that even Olympus isn't sure what it is. On their various websites it is either listed as accessory (cap) or lens.

So you will test the 15? I thought you regarded this not worth your time - on which I agree.

Buying stuff from around the globe - doesn't that give issues with warranty returns ( e.g. Customs) in case of de-centering? Since they speak and write some form of English in Oz - did you check that the local Olympus importer isn't supporting you now? You tried with unsuccessful with Olympus in Germany some time ago.

I'd like a 17 myself. I am a bit envious. Right now I am hoping for good E-P5 kit deals.
enjoy
B&H has a good return service ... so far (had to return the Sony 10-18mm twice at no costs).

Oly has, in theory, an international warranty service - conditions apply.

Point is, that if the centering is fine, it isn't much of an issue.

The primary problem is that the local shops aren't exactly stellar in this respect (returns).

They accept returns for detective items, but decentering is not a defect they say (because they cannot verify it). To be fair - I haven't tried many but after the first experiences I do not see why I should bother.

The costs are 25% higher here compared to imports so I do not see why I should support this business philosophy. Makes me wonder what USP a local mail order shop has actually. Anyway, enough ranting about this ...

Looking forward to the review Klaus!

I just did the analysis ... well ... I expected worse actually.

Quote:I just did the analysis ... well ... I expected worse actually.
Ah!