Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preview: Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4 OS DC Contemporary
Sample images with Nikon D7000:

http://photozone.smugmug.com/Reviews/sigma1770284osdx/

-- Markus

Editor
opticallimits.com

I still think it's the most versatile standard zoom in APS-C land!

Great range, faster than regular zooms, very useful pseudo-macro mode and reasonably small and compact (compared to f2.8 zooms).

I wonder why none of the primary manufacturers didn't release something comparable.

Now that I switched to Nikon FF I use the 24-120 f/4, but I still liked the Sigma 17-70 on APS-C better...

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:I still think it's the most versatile standard zoom in APS-C land!

Great range, faster than regular zooms, very useful pseudo-macro mode and reasonably small and compact (compared to f2.8 zooms).

I wonder why none of the primary manufacturers didn't release something comparable.

Now that I switched to Nikon FF I use the 24-120 f/4, but I still liked the Sigma 17-70 on APS-C better...
Why do you like the 17-70mm on APS-C better? Does it have noticeably better IQ? Or the closer focussing ability?
Quote:Why do you like the 17-70mm on APS-C better? Does it have noticeably better IQ? Or the closer focussing ability?

I find the pseudo-macro very convenient and miss it on the 24-120. Additionally, I like the variable 2.8-4 aperture better than the fixed f/4. 17mm at f2.8 is very useful indoor for instance (and it stays f2.8 up to 21mm). Finally, I appreciate the smaller size factor.

Now, the 24-120 has the advantage of being wider which is a plus and it's a bit longer although I wouldn't miss it I think.
--Florent

Flickr gallery