Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there Optical (formula) differences between Nikkor 180mm f2.8 D and non D and comparison to Tamron 180mm f3.5
I see that DX review was for non D version

(Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8 IF-ED)

and FX review was for D version

(Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8 D ED)

Based on the Specification tables they look like completely the same (physically and optically)

Are they?

I also compared them to the review of Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 SP Di LD [IF] macro

(compared DX test versions) and they look very similar.

Which one to choose for D600? Used prices are rather similar.

thank you in advance

yours Bojan

Quote:I see that DX review was for non D version

(Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8 IF-ED)

and FX review was for D version

(Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8 D ED)

Based on the Specification tables they look like completely the same (physically and optically)

Are they?
based on this article

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/com...index2.htm

they should be the same optically - difference being inclusion of D - distance chip which enables 3d matrix / 3d flash metering
Nikon 180mm f2.8 or Tamron 180mm f3.5 macro, the choice should depend on your intended usage of the lens.

The Nikon 180mm f2.8 has a quite significantly bigger max. aperture, a nice longer portrait lens or other venues where a shallow DOF or shorter exposure times are wanted.

The Tamron 180mm f3.5 is first and foremost a macro lens with slow AF and upto 1:1 magnification.

So, let the usage of the 180mm lens determine which one is for you, not the prices or any differences in measurement reviews.

That would have been my advice, too. And just in case you're really thinking about a 180mm macro lens, also consider the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX HSM.

One other, maybe important point: the Nikkor is faster (in terms of aperture) but still more compact than the 180mm macro lenses.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Thank you very much for your help.

When I make decision and get a lens, I will let you know how it works for me (with some hopefully nice shots)

Sincerely yours

Bojan

Bojan, Are you Slovene?

I have the Nikkor 180mm f2.8 ED in both AF and MF versions.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend either these days. As nice as the 180mm f2.8 is (I prefer the AF, BTW) it's not as handy as the 70/80-200 f2.8.

I shot a number of events with just the 180 but they were over two days. on the first day I used a wide angled zoom and then came back the next day and shot only with the 180.

Of course if you can afford it, just get the 70-200 (f4 or f2.8) and be done with.

Pricewise, the older 80-200 f2.8 is not that much more than the 180.

Actually I am!

Born and raised in Serbia but spent every summer in Slovenia (Zavrstnik pri Litiji)

Now living in Canada for past 10+ years...

Thank you for the zoom suggestion, but I lean more to prime because of the size and weight.

70-200 F4 is similar in weight so thank you for your suggestion, 

something to really think about

yours Bojan

Quote:Bojan, Are you Slovene?