Thanks for the review Markus...

Any comments on the focus breathing?... Compared to the new 70-200 VRs

Serkan
[quote name='mst' timestamp='1344294447' post='19707']

I liked it a lot.

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/76...s8020028fx

-- Markus

[/quote]

I am curious why you liked it a lot, handling (just curious)? Sharpness wise the new 70-200mm VR version is better according to the test. As a used lens the price is not cheap also.

Frank
I had it once. It is very nice simply because it is a very effective and carefree tool. It does everything with a solid performance and in a reliable way. The sum of its qualities makes it a very nice companion. I sold it simply because in the end, I am just too much fond of prime lenses. For a zoom, there was nothing to complain about.

Christian
[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1344302367' post='19708']

Will the AF-D version be tested?

[/quote]

Yes, some day for sure, but I'm currently too busy both with PZ and other stuff that I can't give you an estimate when such a review might happen.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='PuxaVida' timestamp='1344327619' post='19709']

Any comments on the focus breathing?... Compared to the new 70-200 VRs

[/quote]

I don't consider focus breathing to be an issue with both the AF-S 80-200 and the 70-200 VR (first generation). Both get a bit wider towards MFD compared to a prime lens (the Canon 200 L has a magnification of 1:5 here compared to 1:6.x with the zooms), but it is certainly a lot less than with the newer 70-200 VR II or the Sigma 70-200 OS.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='Frank' timestamp='1344330575' post='19711']

I am curious why you liked it a lot, handling (just curious)? Sharpness wise the new 70-200mm VR version is better according to the test. As a used lens the price is not cheap also.

[/quote]

Just as Chris put it, it's a reliable tool that "just works". The newer VR lens may be a tad sharper, but not to a level that's significant (for me) and I think the AF-S 80-200 has the edge in terms of bokeh quality.

The rather high used price probably confirms the high reputation this lens still has among many users.

The 70-200 VR almost scared me because of the amount of sample variation I discovered during the FX review.

I eventually sold the 80-200 because I often missed VR. For the subjects I shoot, the newer VR II is the more versatile lens. And as much as I like and use primes, I quite often need the flexibility of a fast tele zoom.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com