Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aperture problem Tmaron 200-400mm lens on Canon 5D I
Hello all,

I have had a Tamron 200-400mm lens for a year now. It worked fine on my Canon EOS 5D I untill two weeks ago. After I have taken a picture, in some cases the diaphragm doesn't open up again and the camera gives an error. Also when I use the DOF-preview the diaphragm sometime shuts and also gets stuck(sometimes), but then the camera doesn't give an error.

Anyone familiar with this problem? Could the diaphragm blades be dirty? The lens is worth about 150 euro and I want to sell it, but if the repair is the same price as I can sell it for or even more expensive, then I am afraid I have a new vase.

Best wishes,

Reinier
Probably the best you can do is to sell it with a detailed description of the error.

Working copies of this quite old lens sell around 150e - 200e on e*ay ...

for a partly defective one you might still get about 100e.

The failure could be a partly broken cable inside the lens ... in that case I

would expect the error to occur at certain focal lengths more often.

It could also be a dying aperture-mechanism.

In both cases, the error is hard to repair yourself ... and (since the lens

is quite old) I doubt there are still spare parts available from Tamron.

Just my thoughts ... Rainer
Hi Reinier,

The most likely cause of problems like these is sticky aperture blades caused by the oil that is used to grease the moving parts in the lens. It does happen with older lenses.

Provided it is easy to reach the diaphragm, without having to remove too many parts, this should be a fairly inexpensive repair (cleaning the aperture blades). However, this does indeed depend on the complexity of the lens assembly. It it takes an hour to do the complete repair, it is worthwhile doing, if it takes a day, it isn't.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Hello Rainer and Wim,

Thanks for your replies. I think I will search for a good (local) repair shop and ask if they can take a look and a quote for the repair. If it's took expensive to repair then I try to sell it to someone who is able to fixed himself.

Best wishes,

Reinier

[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1339690918' post='18894']

Hello all,

I have had a Tamron 200-400mm lens for a year now. It worked fine on my Canon EOS 5D I untill two weeks ago. After I have taken a picture, in some cases the diaphragm doesn't open up again and the camera gives an error. Also when I use the DOF-preview the diaphragm sometime shuts and also gets stuck(sometimes), but then the camera doesn't give an error.

Anyone familiar with this problem? Could the diaphragm blades be dirty? The lens is worth about 150 euro and I want to sell it, but if the repair is the same price as I can sell it for or even more expensive, then I am afraid I have a new vase.

Best wishes,

Reinier

[/quote]