Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Pentax SMC FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited
The effect of sharpening is depending to the quality of the target edge. An AA filter increases the blur thus decreases the effect of sharpening. The K10D has a weaker AA filter as mentioned - no vertical filtering. Thus sharpening is boosting the vertical resolution comparatively more than on the K5 (which has, as I mentioned often in the forum, an aggressive AA filter).

Remember that the different AA filter (of the K10D) is boosting the resolution anyway already so the sharpening itself makes no qualitative difference anyway.

This is probably also an explanation why the K5 "keeps" a slightly higher resolution at smaller aperture.

Just think of the AA filter as as opal/milk glass. Everything will be dampened so the quality of the incoming signal is less relevant. This dampening effect is also visible in the MTFs.

That all said I have no complete explanation for all this. And, frankly, I'm just reading the measured results here - I've not created a new hypotheses that I need to proof.

However, it just confirms my often repeated but continuously ignored statement that the results are not cross-system comparable and the K10D is a different test system than the K5. Expecting identical results is not viable. This also applies to the NEX-5 vs NEX-7 results so this is no news.

Messages In This Thread
next PZ lens test report: Pentax SMC FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited - by moving_comfort - 05-20-2012, 02:11 PM
next PZ lens test report: Pentax SMC FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited - by Klaus - 05-22-2012, 06:11 AM