Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are point and shoot cameras in the process of extinction?
I have found an [url="http://www.cscrumors.com/2012/05/15/will-compact-system-cameras-push-the-point-and-shoot-ones-out-of-market/"]article that discusses if point and shoot cameras are not to be replaced in future by compact system cameras[/url].

What are your thoughts on this?
Consider the types of compact camera out there, and what they can deliver relative to a mirrorless system or other imaging devices:

"I don't care about quality and just want something on facebook" = cameraphone, although they're getting better over time.

"I want better than a cameraphone but still very small" = (ultra-)compact, or compact super-zoom, where the lens can retract into the body and save significant storage space. Mirrorless can't do that.

"I want a waterproof/underwater camera" = compact would be a LOT cheaper than any current mirrorless with waterproof casing.

Not everyone wants to deal with changing lenses and having to store them, however small they get. I think a single unit compact camera still has its place. At the higher end mirrorless is a threat. Personally I think more of the loss of sales of compact cameras will be due to camera phones at the low end than mirrorless ever will take, unless someone does a CHEAP mirrorless. But there's little money in cheap...

A compact camera around, say, £/€/$100-300 ball park will still offer much more functionality over a cameraphone, and mirrorless can't dream to go there in price yet.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
No, Samsung is missing the boat IMHO. most casual shooters out there don't want to spend $500 and up for a camera. for many of them, a cell phone camera will suffice. I have a Nikon D5100, Nex C3, Canon zoom lens camera with 24x zoom. and just bought a Canon HS 100 to have something that would slip into a shirt pocket, which no ILC or DSLR will do.

sorney1