Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Next PZ lens test report: Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC HSM OS
#1
Another retest, so no surprises compared to Klaus' 50D based review.



http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--nikk...a1770284os



-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

#2
[quote name='mst' timestamp='1331308626' post='16505']

Another retest, so no surprises compared to Klaus' 50D based review.



http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--nikk...a1770284os



-- Markus

[/quote]



I guess "fogures" on page 2 should be "figures". <img src='http://forum.photozone.de/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='Smile' />
#3
Yep, thanks for the hint. Corrected.



-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

#4
Hello,

what would you choose between an new Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC HSM Macro OS  and an used Nikon AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR . Mostly for landscapes and travelling, the price is the same.


Thank You!

Daniel

#5
Hi Markus, thanks for your review!

It is not on the front page of PZ...

#6
Quote:It is not on the front page of PZ...
Well, it was... 2 years ago Wink

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

#7
Quote:what would you choose between an new Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC HSM Macro OS  and an used Nikon AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR . Mostly for landscapes and travelling, the price is the same.
I have used the 16-85 VR over many years, but personally I would prefer the Sigma nowadays if I had to make the choice.

However, you can't really go wrong with any of the two lenses for your intended purpose. The Nikon offers a wider focal range, while the Sigma's close-focus abilities can be handy at times.

If you got for the Sigma, make sure to get the latest edition of the Sigma lens (the "Contemporary" one).

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

#8
Quote:Hello,

what would you choose between an new Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC HSM Macro OS  and an used Nikon AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR . Mostly for landscapes and travelling, the price is the same.


Thank You!

Daniel
 

I'd go for the sigma for the following reasons:
  • Quite a bit faster means you can use it for low light shots (it's f/2.8 from 17 to 21mm); 70mm at f/4 is pretty good for portraits.
  • Great close focus ability; I find the close focus ability much more important than the slight increase of focal range you get with the Nikkor.
  • Better bokeh than the Nikkor.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
#9
Quote:I have used the 16-85 VR over many years, but personally I would prefer the Sigma nowadays if I had to make the choice.


However, you can't really go wrong with any of the two lenses for your intended purpose. The Nikon offers a wider focal range, while the Sigma's close-focus abilities can be handy at times.


If you got for the Sigma, make sure to get the latest edition of the Sigma lens (the "Contemporary" one).


-- Markus
 

Is the older version of Sigma, the "Contemporany" adds more then 100 Euro to the budget. The quality of the new lens justifies the prices diference ?

Also I'm not sure my photographic skills deserves that ammount of money, at least at this momment.

 

I was tempted by the wider focal range but you are right, close-focus abilities can be more useful, also Sigma could be better for portraits


Thank you,

Daniel

  


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread:
8 Guest(s)