Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon in trouble
This is BS. Nikon is still number 2 in market share and financially they are not there yet. Just because there is no camera on the market without mirror box let's trash everything. Everything seems so simple.
borisbg, No. 2 in market share of what? Cameras? DSLRs? Canon and Sony have a lot of other kind of products in their portfolios, as well as Fuji is part of a much bigger company. Nikon also makes other things - and in their DSLR and mirrorless segment, they do have troubles.

I'm far away from being an experienced market or stock analyst, but what comes together when I think "Nikon" is: 
  • They are most of the time the last on the party.
  • Since two years I read about financially missed targets - they are if not loosing at least not making enough money.
  • Nikon already had a mirrorless system - that's kind of trouble, because it was not convincing to enough people. Now they are going to abandon it - I don't know, but optimistic signals have a different shape. To me as consumer, this signal says "we tried and failed. Don't expect more of us"
  • While other companies are successfully creating an image of modern and innovative (Sony, Sigma), listening to customers (Fujifilm), reliable and wide spread tools for professionals (Canon, much less so Nikon), Nikon has the image of a
    <ul><li>very conservative company,
  • low quantity at innovations, and if they come it's years of waiting before
  • new lenses (and bodies) manufactured outside of Japan in "cheap" countries, but lenses far opposite of "cheap" and not always top notch (*).
  • company ignoring customer requests
  • expensive cameras going to market with more or less massive flaws (but then, a lot of things grow to "big issues" thanks to the net  Rolleyes ).
</li>
[*]from the other "mirrorless" cameras, meaning compact ones, the market is already walking away and leaving some superzoom bridge cameras left.
[*]the new "compacts" are smartphones with Leica and Zeiss trying to "value up" the little sensor in the phone by their lenses - Nikon glass in a smartphone? Would that be a real reason more for anybody to buy it?
[*]New product lines like the action cameras come to market after GoPro got reputation and Nikon already is coming out with "unfinished" products.
</ul>(*) remarkably Sigma still manufactures in Japan, competing in quality and delivering outstanding products - how useful is another question, but in terms of quality, Sigma sets benchmarks - not Nikon where customers are complaining they don't get the APS-C lenses they want.

Sometimes things are simple.

But it's new, that two rumor sites have a battle with each other about fake news (rumors) or not  Big Grin I just lean back and enjoy the show.

Quote:This is BS. Nikon is still number 2 in market share and financially they are not there yet. Just because there is no camera on the market without mirror box let's trash everything. Everything seems so simple.
Nikon has lost a lot of market share, both in bodies and in lenses. What this is about is not that Nikon might be insolvent, but a hostile take over candidate. The Japanese government does not want to see Nikon be in foreign hands.

Well at least here in Lebanon, when you have a rumor there's always someone with dirty intentions behind it....

Quote:Classic Japanese way to doing things I think. Japan as a whole is a big family business.

And this help doesn't require to fully acquire Nikon (that is a Mitsubishi company anyway and not that vulnerable). A transient investment like Sony in Olympus may help or what Microsoft did to Apple when they were weak (even the US boys know how it works).

On top there can be a collaboration in sensor technology. Nikon is in despair here as they don't know how to focus on sensor level and therefore screwed up mirrorless but also live-view in DSLRs.