Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice
Hello,

I am thinking in purchase the new equipment. My budget is around 1000 euros ... my first choice has been Nikon D7000 (with the option of the D3000s). But what about Canon 60D. What do you think is better choice: 60D or D7000?.

I have no other equipment because I sold it.

thanks in advance
Well, the key question is probably more what you'd like to achieve ?

1000EUR will give you one of these cameras with a very cheap lens.

This is an aspect which doesn't feel ... ahh ... balanced ... to me.
The D7000 and 60D are quite close in performance. The D7000 is a bit faster in high FPS sports shooting, if that is something you need. Of course, for high FPS sports shooting you will need the right lenses too, making it way more expensive than just that body.

Only exception is the Canon 85mm f1,8 USM, suitable for indoor sports shooting.

The Canon has a nicer layout of the menus and buttons/controls, the Nikon has a nicer FEEL to the buttons. The Canon has the nicer LCD, which can swivel from the side hinge, nice for when using live view in difficult positions. The Canon has a better live veiw implementation, the Nikon has faster contrast detect AF during live view than the Canon's contrast detect AF. The Canon has phase detect AF too with live view, just with a short blackout of the live view during AF.

The Nikon has cleaner base ISO, the Canon slightly more detailed high ISO performance.

Both are great cameras with very neat details and tricks, but neither will be of great use without a set of good lenses.

If you can not afford at least €1200 in lenses with them, it makes little sense to look at these high performance semi pro models... maybe the EOS 600D Nikon D5100 would make a bit more sense as you would free up a bit more money for the lenses, as Klaus hints at too...
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1315427596' post='11398']

Both are great cameras with very neat details and tricks, but neither will be of great use without a set of good lenses.

If you can not afford at least €1200 in lenses with them, it makes little sense to look at these high performance semi pro models... maybe the EOS 600D Nikon D5100 would make a bit more sense as you would free up a bit more money for the lenses, as Klaus hints at too...

[/quote]

Might it make sense to go for, e.g., the D7000 + 18-105VR for now if that's all Brisco can afford, and add more lenses gradually later?

Ian
[quote name='IanCD' timestamp='1315429720' post='11400']

Might it make sense to go for, e.g., the D7000 + 18-105VR for now if that's all Brisco can afford, and add more lenses gradually later?

Ian

[/quote]

Depends if he needs the high FPS too. Otherwise I would get a lens(es) with bigger maximum apertures and a less expensive APS-C body.
Thanks to all. I agree with Klaus comment, of course, but my thinking is to buy the body now and with the time the lenses. Now I cant afford to spend 2.000-3.000 euros.

I was thinking in to buy the body with the cheap and good performer 50mm fix lense now. The 50mm f1.8 in both manufacturers.

I dont know if worth to buy another new zoom kit-lense instead of the 50mm

I am not think about 600d or 5100 segment because I am not comfortable with this body in my hands. it's a shame for me because the image quality of this cameras are very good, and the price its cheaper than the others.
[quote name='Brisco' timestamp='1315440605' post='11405']

Thanks to all. I agree with Klaus comment, of course, but my thinking is to buy the body now and with the time the lenses. Now I cant afford to spend 2.000-3.000 euros.

I was thinking in to buy the body with the cheap and good performer 50mm fix lense now. The 50mm f1.8 in both manufacturers.

I am not think about 600d or 5100 segment because I am not comfortable with this body in my hands. it's a shame for me because the image quality of this cameras are very good, and the price its cheaper than the others.

[/quote]

Nikon has the 35mm 1.8 DX. If you are only getting one prime right now, 35mm will be more useful than the 50mm unless you plan to use the camera solely for portrait photography.
[quote name='edge' timestamp='1315445805' post='11406']

Nikon has the 35mm 1.8 DX. If you are only getting one prime right now, 35mm will be more useful than the 50mm unless you plan to use the camera solely for portrait photography.

[/quote]

The Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8 DX has very poor bokeh though. I would not choose it over the basic 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 VR standard zoom, just for that reason. Yes, the 35mm opens wider, but the results are less, just because of its bad bokeh behavior.

Way more interesting is getting the 18-55 standard zoom and the new AF-S 50mm f1.8/ That lens have very nice bokeh, it makes much more sense to get that lens then. You can still shoot 35mm with the standard zoom, even in lower light where the VR will help out. and for portraits the smooth bokeh of the new AF-S 50mm f1.8 will be great.

Canon has the old but good 35mm f2, which has smoother bokeh than the Nikon 35mm f1.8. The very cheap old 50mm f1.8 from Canon is cheaper, but not of the same quality as the new Nikon AF-S 50mm f1.8 though.
[quote name='Brisco' timestamp='1315440605' post='11405']

[/quote]

Frankly I'd rather go for a NEX-7 with Sony 30/3.5 in this case.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1315468881' post='11413']

Frankly I'd rather go for a NEX-7 with Sony 30/3.5 in this case.

[/quote]

If he says he is not comfortable with a 600D and D5100 in his hands... not sure how comfortable he would be with a Nex7?