Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF VR (FX)
Sorry, it took a little longer than planned (as usual Wink )

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/10...3004pfvrff

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Ouch... that flare is really nasty. I can figure out a number of circumstances in which it would have ruined a photo of mine. But I understand you have to pay for the compact size in some way.

Funny that Nikon is not able yet to design an effective tripod collar... I remember when, with my AF-S 300 f/4, I had to stuck a rubber cylinder between the collar foot and the lens barrel (I later bought a replacement collar from RRS). 

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
It's not the collar what sucks mostly (although, at the price of around 200 bucks acouple of things should be improved). It is the plastic ring underneath it. Yes the one of the lens which is creating that wobbly connection. I can't see how a 3rd party improves that in another way than just costing â…“ of Nikon's crappy accessory. Best thing of the collar? The lens is so lightweight you don't need one  Big Grin

Nikon loves wobbly connections. All their battery grips have to be removed when using a tripod.

Back to the lens. I bought mine at a a time I was pissed impatient by Sigma's delivery time of the 150-600. and convinced I need after years of wide-angles a long tele. Any regrets on my side? Except it's good to forget the price of this "Made in China" jewel, none. I always wanted to compare it with the Tamron G2 but I have to admit, the thrill of comparisons has left my place. ^_^  

Pity, you haven't tested the "old" version. I suspect it too be still better in terms of contrast and sharpness.

Good review of an interesting but ferociously expensive lens!

The VR problem is not confined to this lens alone, my 70-300mm VRII does the same around 1/160 the sec. frankly you avoid between 1/100-1/200th and your fine.

Flare though is a howler...ouch!
In only use it without backlight.

In the rain it's fine  :lol:

Hey dave, last weekend I played around with a Sigma 500/4 sports. Terrific! Only weak spot: At this price, they could have put the TS-81 tripod foot in the package.

What a rollercoaster ride of a review. Smile There's a word I hated when I was working as a translator, and it's the word "controversial". It looks like an apt description for this lens. Smile

Quote:Pity, you haven't tested the "old" version. I suspect it too be still better in terms of contrast and sharpness.
Maybe Markus will get to it someday, like he tested the similar Tokina.  Wink
Actually we did test the old Nikkor back in the stone-age

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--nikk...est-report

Aaah, was searching only in FF.

So, Markus, you will test it on APS-C... oooh, had no idea how fast you could run  Big Grin impressive.
Quote:In only use it without backlight.

In the rain it's fine  :lol:

Hey dave, last weekend I played around with a Sigma 500/4 sports. Terrific! Only weak spot: At this price, they could have put the TS-81 tripod foot in the package.
At around half the price of the Nikon 500mm the Sigma is a no brainer, the only advantage of the former is it's a little lighter in weight, the rest performs the same, I would have liked to try out some of that glass.

The main problem I'm finding with 500-600mm FL is finding suitable clear and cool weather to shoot in, I first take a test shot to see whether shooting over 30 meters is going to produce sharp results, very often it doesn't!