Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF VR (FX)
Quote:Don't send him back under the table, last time it took several years to winkle him out again  Tongue

Actually the older AF-S 300mm F4 lens is a goodie and can be found for €800, no real flare issues either.....not so sure about purple fringing though! 

Oh and of course it's metal..........nice!
 I have this lens...the AF-S 300 F4D. I was testing it on my new D7200 tonight. It is excellent and purple fringing is no problem at all.

It is heavy and very solid...and I cannot fault it's optical quality. It focuses fairly quickly too. I bought it because I find none of the Nikon 70-300 zooms acceptable...so I ended up with the 300 and the 70-200 F4 ED VR which is just fantastic for a zoom to me.

The 70-200 lives on my D500 and a 24-70 f2.8G ED is the default lens for the 7200. I find it's quality to be merely acceptable but

it is nice to have the flexibility in that range of focal lengths.

I would never get the new fresnel 300...I fully understand the appeal of the low weight...however the compromises are not acceptable to me. I think the old version is better all round...except for weight!!!

Messages In This Thread
Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF VR (FX) - by cistercian - 06-09-2017, 11:10 PM