Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Olympus M.Zuiko 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO
Within its scope it's pretty nice actually (unless you had unrealistic expectations):

http://www.opticallimits.com/m43/1006_olympus12100f4pro

A very decent all rounder!

Thanks for the review Klaus, very appreciated.

The results are above my expectations.

Impressive, really.

Not taking into account the scope, I find the performance of the lens, especially sharpness, very good hence my surprise at the rating of 3*.

I'd have assumed this type of performance would at least get 3.5 or 4*...
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Hi Klaus, thanks for the review. Would you consider this Olympus to be a BIG step up from the Leica four thirds 14-150mm.? The older lens you tested on a older body so I find it hard to compare. I think you had the older lens yourself for a while also.
"Due to diffraction Micro-Four-Thirds has its sweat sport..."

Big Grin

'cept for 12mm raw vignetting is well controlled. Do you have a feel for how quickly it drop (12mm is 1.5 stops and 25mm is .3 stops.

Impressive consistency (for mtf) from 12mm to 100mm you could almost test it at one point and reuse the same graph (though edge resolution and to a lesser degree center resolution) is dropping slightly. Also very low loca in your bokeh shot.

-

Surprise the optics didn't perform better than 3 stars. True it is not as good as a good prime but hard to find a zoom that will beat it - esp a super zoom - can you think of one from any vendor ?

Quote:"Due to diffraction Micro-Four-Thirds has its sweat sport..."

Big Grin

Big Grin Of course, I did that on purpose!  B)
Quote:Hi Klaus, thanks for the review. Would you consider this Olympus to be a BIG step up from the Leica four thirds 14-150mm.? The older lens you tested on a older body so I find it hard to compare. I think you had the older lens yourself for a while also.

Yes, it broke my heart when I sold it.  I'd very hard to tell whether the Oly is better. I used the Leica on a 10mp camera (the L10 - ah, a heavily underrated camera).  The thing is that the Leica was fully corrected (just 2.9% barrel distortions at 14mm) so it didn't rely on auto-correction. That should put it into advantage at the wide end at least.   
Although - thinking about it - I also used the Leica on the GH2 via adapter (did I mention that I miss that multi-format sensor - Panasonic damn you!). The GH2 had 16mp. Worked like a breeze. The AF wasn't great with the Leica 14-150mm but it wasn't terrible.

I think I should set up a petition for MFT to bring that multi-format sensor back.  :angry: Can't cost them more than 20 bucks per camera.