Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample gallery - Olympus M.Zuiko 12-100mm f/4 PRO
RAW converted via ACR 

https://photozone.smugmug.com/Olympus-MZ...0mm-f4-PRO

Looking good Smile.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Without discussing lens quality, it seems unlike Markus urban photography wasn't your preferred domain although you excelled in landscape. Seems Australia had a positive influence on your photography or is MFT your preferred system? Many of the sample pictures are absolute keepers.
The sharpness, especially at 12mm seems very good (impressive).

I'd have liked to see shots at 12mm f4 and also more 100mm f4 shots were we can gauge sharpness.

Regardless of the IQ, I still think this lens doesn't make much sense given its size. It's huge for the system.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:Without discussing lens quality, it seems unlike Markus urban photography wasn't your preferred domain although you excelled in landscape. Seems Australia had a positive influence on your photography or is MFT your preferred system? Many of the sample pictures are absolute keepers.

Honestly speaking most of my sample images aren't really good. The thing is - this is essentially casual shooting. The images in this gallery were shot during a weekend trip to Melbourne. e.g. I could have spend hours at the scene where they presented those old Ford oldtimers ... but my spouse gave me 3 minutes. Thus I have to balance photography with the boss. :-) Some of you may know the problem ... The weather was also rather mixed (Melbourne ...).

If I'd try to shoot truly professional grade photos, I'd have to do it differently. That simply requires much more time. It's absolutely impossible to do that in the scope of lens reviews. The mission statement for the reviews is really to get 8-10ish "acceptable" images that show certain aspects of the lens.
Is the 12-100f4 a lens you would keep or does it fail for some reason (too large/too slow/doesn't fit your needs/bad optics/...) ?

Based on this weekend I don't see any showstopper considering the scope of the lens.

I really enjoyed the freedom of zooming through the range with the confidence that the results weren't technically crappy.

Yes, it is relatively big but it's not huge really. The thing is - good things are bigger than bad things in lens land. That's something we have to accept. If they made it smaller, it would have been worse. Simple as that.

The question of the day remains whether you need those extra 40mm over the Leica 12-60mm. The Leica lens is substantially smaller.

I'd say that you should also make your decision based on the camera - thus where you can take advantage of Dual-IS.
Quote:Honestly speaking most of my sample images aren't really good. The thing is - this is essentially casual shooting. The images in this gallery were shot during a weekend trip to Melbourne. e.g. I could have spend hours at the scene where they presented those old Ford oldtimers ... but my spouse gave me 3 minutes. Thus I have to balance photography with the boss. :-) Some of you may know the problem ... The weather was also rather mixed (Melbourne ...).

If I'd try to shoot truly professional grade photos, I'd have to do it differently. That simply requires much more time. It's absolutely impossible to do that in the scope of lens reviews. The mission statement for the reviews is really to get 8-10ish "acceptable" images that show certain aspects of the lens.
Hey Don't put the blame on Mrs Schroiff, the sample pictures here are  by far better than what you used to do back in the Canon 17-85 review  days 

[Image: dist17.jpg]

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/1...ew?start=2
Well, Australia is generally a "little" different to Germany when it comes to travel photography ;-)