Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Pentax SMC DA 35mm f/2.4 AL
It took us a while to release the first K5-based test but here we go ....

[url="http://www.opticallimits.com/pentax/598-pentax_35_24"]http://www.opticallimits.com/pentax/598-pentax_35_24[/url]
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1300143116' post='6777']

It took us a while to release the first K5-based test but here we go ....

[url="http://www.opticallimits.com/pentax/598-pentax_35_24"]http://www.opticallimits.com/pentax/598-pentax_35_24[/url]

[/quote]

Looks like a good performer, it seems to improve in CA performance over the Pentax 35mm f2 which was a very good lens for the type. From your graphs, it seems like the old lens was as sharp in the center, but a bit sharper still on the borders.

What struck me is that the APS-C only DA f2.4 has the same size as the full frame 35mm f2!

Will the 35mm f1.8 DT from Sony be tested soon by you? It is the missing 35mm on APS-C in photozone's reviews now.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1300149277' post='6779']

Looks like a good performer, it seems to improve in CA performance over the Pentax 35mm f2 which was a very good lens for the type. From your graphs, it seems like the old lens was as sharp in the center, but a bit sharper still on the borders.

What struck me is that the APS-C only DA f2.4 has the same size as the full frame 35mm f2!

Will the 35mm f1.8 DT from Sony be tested soon by you? It is the missing 35mm on APS-C in photozone's reviews now.

[/quote]

It is on the "request list" but as of now we haven't received any offers.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1300149365' post='6780']

It is on the "request list" but as of now we haven't received any offers.

[/quote]

Where is that list?
Hello

Are the samples from a K-5 without the antialias filter?

Because they don't look to me so sharp...

The Exif Data show that the jpeg are generated by the camera, with a strong unsharp mask, is it right?

Thanks

Alberto
[quote name='AlbertoM' timestamp='1300213168' post='6826']

Hello

Are the samples from a K-5 without the antialias filter?

Because they don't look to me so sharp...

The Exif Data show that the jpeg are generated by the camera, with a strong unsharp mask, is it right?

Thanks

Alberto

[/quote]

The AA removal has failed. This is a factory K5.

The test results of the DA 35/2.4 caused a tiny havoc among the Pentax users. Especially, if its resolution surpasses the one of 3-4 times more expensive 35/2.8 Macro and 35/2 lenses. However, while this lens has been tested with K-5 (16 Mp sensor with maybe a weaker AA filter), the other lenses were tested with much older, 10 Mp Pentax camera. Like the test results of the same (3-rd party) lens cannot be compared if they were conducted with different cameras, I assume that the same should apply to the DA 35/2.4 lens test results. They cannot be (at least the lens resolution) compared with the test results of previously tested lenses. To make the test results better comparable, I would strongly suggest (if it is possible) to re-test at least the lens resolution of this lens with the same camera as it was used for the previous tests. Then compare the both test results. Such a way we would get a kind of "metrics" (like for example, K-5 squeezes 4% higher resolution then the previous, 10 Mp camera), which could help us to make similar comparisons in the future.

Thanks,

Peter
[quote name='youpii' timestamp='1300203668' post='6818']

Where is that list?

[/quote]

If you go to the manufacturer specific overviews there's a header text linking to a page where we request lenses for testing from the community.
[quote name='flektogon' timestamp='1300371689' post='6905']

The test results of the DA 35/2.4 caused a tiny havoc among the Pentax users. Especially, if its resolution surpasses the one of 3-4 times more expensive 35/2.8 Macro and 35/2 lenses. However, while this lens has been tested with K-5 (16 Mp sensor with maybe a weaker AA filter), the other lenses were tested with much older, 10 Mp Pentax camera. Like the test results of the same (3-rd party) lens cannot be compared if they were conducted with different cameras, I assume that the same should apply to the DA 35/2.4 lens test results. They cannot be (at least the lens resolution) compared with the test results of previously tested lenses. To make the test results better comparable, I would strongly suggest (if it is possible) to re-test at least the lens resolution of this lens with the same camera as it was used for the previous tests. Then compare the both test results. Such a way we would get a kind of "metrics" (like for example, K-5 squeezes 4% higher resolution then the previous, 10 Mp camera), which could help us to make similar comparisons in the future.

Thanks,

Peter

[/quote]

You can compare the results from different bodies by not looking at the numbers, but at the height of the bars in relation to the vertical axis. This will give a good enough indication of how the lenses compare.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1300397610' post='6914']

You can compare the results from different bodies by not looking at the numbers, but at the height of the bars in relation to the vertical axis. This will give a good enough indication of how the lenses compare.

[/quote]

What are talking about? Those bars are nothing else than graphical representation of the resolution numbers! The only way to tell, which lens has higher resolution then the others is to test/measure their resulution under the exactly same conditions.