Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ Lens Test Report: Zeiss ZF/ZE T* Planar 85mm f/1.4
Let's then clarify this AF issue. If I put Samyang on my D700, will the body be able to assist me in focus? I wanted to use this lens particulary for the "focus trap" possibility. If it's not possible, then it's a huge problem.

I thought on my body it will have camera controlled aperture including focus trap capability - which is quite useful with the lack of AF.
[quote name='nidza' timestamp='1280389069' post='1375']

Let's then clarify this AF issue. If I put Samyang on my D700, will the body be able to assist me in focus? I wanted to use this lens particulary for the "focus trap" possibility. If it's not possible, then it's a huge problem.[/quote]

Do you mean focus confirmation? If so, you are out of luck.

Quote:I thought on my body it will have camera controlled aperture including focus trap capability - which is quite useful with the lack of AF.

Check here:

[url="http://www.samdobsonphotography.com/samyang-85mm-f1-4-review-nikon/"]http://www.samdobson...4-review-nikon/[/url]

To quote from that review:

Quote:This lens is Manual Focus only, and will work in Manual exposure mode only on the following DSLRs: D40/D40x, D50, D60, D70/D70s, D80 or D90. With the D200, D300, D700, D3/D3x you also have the use of Aperture-priority mode. The good news is, if you can deal with focusing and metering manually (and they’re good things to learn anyway), for a couple of hundred you’ll bag yourself a cracking lens that in many ways outperforms the the £800 Nikon 1.4.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
[quote name='wim' timestamp='1280432917' post='1400']

Do you mean focus confirmation? If so, you are out of luck.[/quote]

I'm not so sure about this one. To my knowledge the Nikon cameras do not need any electronic coupling (like EF) to provide focus confirmation. At least the D3x as well as the D200 provide focus confirmation with the (non-CPU) ZF lenses. Higher grade Nikon DSLRs (D700 included) also indicate the direction in which you need to twist the lens to achieve focus. At least as long as focusing works "Nikkor-like" and not the other way (like on some Sigma or other third party lenses, for example).

I don't have access to a Samyang to verify this, though. An no D700. However my gut feeling is that focus confirmation will work with this combo.

Also, not sure about the "camera controlled" aperture. Certainly not in the sense that you set the aperture on the camera (this requires CPU lenses on Nikon, like ZF.2 or the Voigtländer SL II series), you'll have to set it on the lens with the aperture ring. But, again because of actual experience with such a lens, I don't know if the Samyang has a mechanical lever that stops down during exposure or if the lens is immediately stopped down with the aperture ring (darkening the viewfinder).

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Hi Markus,

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1280481905' post='1410']

I'm not so sure about this one. To my knowledge the Nikon cameras do not need any electronic coupling (like EF) to provide focus confirmation. At least the D3x as well as the D200 provide focus confirmation with the (non-CPU) ZF lenses. Higher grade Nikon DSLRs (D700 included) also indicate the direction in which you need to twist the lens to achieve focus. At least as long as focusing works "Nikkor-like" and not the other way (like on some Sigma or other third party lenses, for example).

I don't have access to a Samyang to verify this, though. An no D700. However my gut feeling is that focus confirmation will work with this combo.[/quote]

The review I referred to doesn't say there is focus confirmation, which is what my post was based on.

Quote:Also, not sure about the "camera controlled" aperture. Certainly not in the sense that you set the aperture on the camera (this requires CPU lenses on Nikon, like ZF.2 or the Voigtländer SL II series), you'll have to set it on the lens with the aperture ring. But, again because of actual experience with such a lens, I don't know if the Samyang has a mechanical lever that stops down during exposure or if the lens is immediately stopped down with the aperture ring (darkening the viewfinder).

-- Markus

I found another review, and it looks like it has the possibility of transfering information to the camera, in Nikon mount anyway, as far as the AE version is concerned:

[url="http://nikonglass.blogspot.com/2010/07/samyang-85mm-f14-ae-if-umc-aspherical.html"]http://nikonglass.bl...aspherical.html[/url]

Here is a quote:

Quote:One negative point about the samyang is the fact that it doesn't provide a minimum apertutre lock. If the ring does move accidently away from minimum aperture, then FEE will apear in the viewfinder and top LCD warning the photographer of the error. No big deal since i havent had any issues yet. I dont use the aperture ring since this version of the lens comes with an electronic chip which handles all communication with the camera. All data necessary for light measurement and aperture control are transmitted to the camera body. Flash is also fully usable and most importantly, all relevant lens paramaeters are displayed in EXIF.

There is some discussion here as well about this subject:

[url="http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/918957/1"]http://www.fredmiran.../topic/918957/1[/url]

The Samyang Optics site doesn't say much either, but maybe this is enough for the discerning Nikon expert?

[url="http://www.syopt.co.kr/eng/product/85mm.asp"]http://www.syopt.co....roduct/85mm.asp[/url]

There are two versions of this lens now, one AE version for Nikon, and the other for all other supported mounts.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1280147057' post='1315']

• Shrinking or expanding the "offending" colour channel. This will bring the image of that channel in line with the rest. This will get rid of the coloured edges on contrasty areas, and it will get rid of the muddy fuzziness. This method does fix what was wrong, and you gain sharpness and contrast.

[/quote]

I get very pedantic about such things... do you think just uniformly expanding/shrinking the colour channels can do the trick? Especially when the amounts of CA is different across the frame and dependant on design (e.g. in the case of aspherics)?

GTW
Thanks for this review.

Any plan to review the Sony version in FF? Its MTF seems a bit better.
[quote name='genotypewriter' timestamp='1281449563' post='1639']

I get very pedantic about such things... do you think just uniformly expanding/shrinking the colour channels can do the trick? Especially when the amounts of CA is different across the frame and dependant on design (e.g. in the case of aspherics)?

GTW

[/quote]

In "normal" cases, CA is void in the center of the image, and gets worse and worse towards the edges, usually in quite an even way. Depending on the "offending colours", yes, shrinking/expending them, around the center of the image, can certainly do the trick.

Usually amounts of CA are not different "across the frame", other than getting more towards the edge and less towards the center.
[quote name='youpii' timestamp='1281767120' post='1760']

Thanks for this review.

Any plan to review the Sony version in FF? Its MTF seems a bit better.

[/quote]

Eventually but not within a month or two.