Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Sigma macro's AF inaccuracies call for new optic!
The PM you sent back was mainly a quote of my original PM, so thanks for choosing this way. Next time I include my mail-address as the PM system here contains more switches and buttons to delete or deny or destruct a message than there' s actual a reply option. This form software is rather tough to use. 

Undecided
(03-18-2018, 09:59 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: The PM you sent back was mainly a quote of my original PM, so thanks for choosing this way. Next time I include my mail-address as the PM system here contains more switches and buttons to delete or deny or destruct a message than there' s actual a reply option. This form software is rather tough to use. 

Undecided

Sorry, this current forum is "mega clunky" at the moment JoJu.....sign in......an hour later resign in...!
 I did however, appreciate your offer, I could see you would have liked me to have the lens....so thanks!

Have a good sunday!
Same to you, thanks.
Ok after a complete purge on TPM lens profiles in both the D750 and the D500 and with very promising results from the Sigma 150mm macro......

.....I now have a large hole............an optical one that is!

I go from 85mm to 150mm (ignoring focus breathing of which the macro does some of)

There's just a lack of affordable choice FLs in between.......we have the two Nikkor macro 105mm F2.8......the D model is by all accounts a superb lens with a complicated cam system of compensating optics and is the most affordable
...the AF-S model has VR which would be nice......but they come in at 500 euros +.
The AF 105mm F2 DC is also a nice lens, the minuses are price 600-700 euros and apparently it's a little soft wide open.

So on the affordable 105mm lens front there is the Sigma 105mm of which I already tried and the Nikkor 105 macro.

I've found one at 270 euros........and so it goes on.....
The Nikkor G's VR is close to useless for macro, and not as efficient as Sigma's OS in 105 mm - but better than nothing. If I were you, i'd also consider the Tammy 90 mm Macro. And there are plenty of new an old manual focus offerings, too (which are just not my cup of tea).

I just saw a 2nd hand 200 mm Micro Nikkor for around 700 francs. Tempting...
Big Grin 
The Tamron 90 is too close to the Nikkor AF 85mm for me to benefit ....

However, things move fast in "GAS LAND".........often very fast as here!.......

.....I've just negotiated 250 euros on what looks like a very good example of the Nikkor AF105 F2.8D micro....apparently in almost perfect condition......(a lens that has eluded me before at the right price)

Solid, sharp with not frills!    ...and Ken Rockwell "waxes lyrically" about it...

.....so it must be good!

For portrait macro use between 85mm-150mm it should fill the gap nicely.....

.........but how many times have I said the like before? 

no emoticons? Well here's a big fat laugh
To get emoticons, you need to hit “new reply” rather than “quick reply”.

Idea
Big Grin 
Alors, Is the AF 105mm F2.8D micro a good lens? 

Yes?      Tongue

or   No?         Huh
Who knows?

Who cares?

Do you know any real bad macro lenses? "Bad" like in "if you see it for sale, run away!"?

Almost forgot:  Tongue
I'm just going to add a little to the Sigma macro saga......confirmation of capricious AFMA !!!!

Continues to add a new 150/2.8 file to produce a double listing when changing a AFMA setting.......even when all listed lenses are numbered.

After deleting the doubled listed lens.........it will then produce serious back focus........the remaining

You have to switch on/off camera to start again......try new setting +2 to give reasonable focus accuracy..........if at any time you need to change the AFMA you have to go through the whole procedure again, meaning a new double lens file will be produced and the whole cycle will have to be repeated without the lens being listed in the repertoire.

I had capricious things with Pentax's AF including Sigma lens mix ups.

But nothing, but nothing comes close to this ridiculous run around with this lens!!!!

Sorry my last Sigma lens..............

The AF105mm F2.8 micro arrives soon.........at least I know it will be fully recognised on the D750.