Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
So what goes wrong with AF-S sonic motors?
Right over the last couple of days the motor for the Nikkor AF-S 80-200mm F2.8D arrived, it certainly feels smoother than the existing one...as soon as my order for the motor was complete, the seller listed another...I'm thinking he has a few of these motors, they don't seem to too difficult to find.

The Nikkor AF-S 28-70mm F2.8D arrived yesterday, it's certainly a monster, in magnesium, weighing in at 1.012 kgs. The good news is the AF motor is still working, it squeaked lightly for couple of movements, and then it "shuffles along"........which is the noise they should make, then it stops at 3 meters.................. turning the focus ring I can feel something catching.

So today I start the big repair push......firstly with the 28-70!
Good luck, hopefully you won't have AF accuracy nightmares once done
OK the first lens the AF-S 28-70mm F2.8 lens is now repaired and working fine!

Frankly they are fiddly to work on and certainly difficult to understand how to dismantle, someone had already been in there and mashed a crosspoint screw and went no further.
Like the AF-S 70-300mm VR that I repaired before I didn't find much wrong, checked out the distance scale which is poorly mounted....the motor squeaked when turned by hand. The aperture lever/mechanism is baffling as I couldn't understand why the lens stayed half open when unmounted.....+4 glass and a head torch showed the mechanism was two levers that had to be parted.......not in the least bit obvious.
I also raided three dud SLRs and stripped the for springs screws etc.

Re-assembling the AF-S 80-200mm F2.8 is a more serious job with a lot more stuff to remember....so I'll go in there in the next few days!

Oh onward and upward!
(05-08-2018, 03:24 PM)davidmanze Wrote: OK the first lens the AF-S 28-70mm F2.8 lens is now repaired and working fine!

Frankly they are fiddly to work on and certainly difficult to understand how to dismantle, someone had already been in there and mashed a crosspoint screw and went no further.
Like the AF-S 70-300mm VR that I repaired before I didn't find much wrong, checked out the distance scale which is poorly mounted....the motor squeaked when turned by hand. The aperture lever/mechanism is baffling as I couldn't understand why the lens stayed half open when unmounted.....+4 glass and a head torch showed the mechanism was two levers that had to be parted.......not in the least bit obvious.
I also raided three dud SLRs and stripped the for springs screws etc.

Re-assembling the AF-S 80-200mm F2.8 is a more serious job with a lot more stuff to remember....so I'll go in there in the next few days!

Oh onward and upward!

There's an African proverb that says: "If you don't know where to go, look from where you come"
When the repairs guy here refused to repair my 24-200 since it's not worth the effort, he advised me " when disassemble the lens record it with video, this way it's easier to go back"
You lose nothing by doing it, video with phones is quite easy now
I did set out with a view to filming it....but the thought of seeing me constantly losing things .....grovelling on the floor looking for dropped screws, in terms of curses and bad language it would have to be X rated!..

...in the end I took step by step shots..
The issue was probably centring.
Hi everybody!
I would like to reanimate this thread - I also have Nikkor AF-S 80-200/2.8 and it has some problems:

From time to time the lens just does not work in auto mode. Some years ago it was repaired in the Nikon service center - there were problems with AF (they replaced the USM motor), but it wasn't like now.

Symptoms: after changing the objectives the AF does not work and the aperture is indicated as "11". It stays the same for many tries, but at some lucky moment, it just starts working again (mostly after mounting on the camera or sometimes after switching between M/A-M modes). And then I'm afraid to take the lens off the camera for not to lose this "working condition". Switching the camera on and off does not influence this, only taking the lens off the camera. And I also noticed that sometimes the "fEE" error appeared (Nikon D300) - it went away after a while or switching the camera off-on.

Is the lens dead or there is still hope? I'm a hobby photographer and my budget is not that big to afford the new Nikon 70-200/2.8...

And a personal plea to daviddmanze (https://forum.opticallimits.com/member.p...e&uid=6260 ) - may you, please, share with me/us the end of your story with fixing of 80-200/2.8?
Hi Yaraslav .... 
  Been away for some weeks, but yesterday I came upon your post and started to reply ..... my keyboard started to bug and I got double letters and no space bar ... I got more than half a page in when the reply disappeared ... windows intelligence?? 
  Also having trouble signing in to OL ....... 

Will get back to you though as soon as my new/ used comp and I have passed through the "bonding stage" .....
      Well I will be brief, finally when I reassembled the lens the motor ran very slowly to the end stop when it would run at normal speed for a few seconds and then ran slowly again, the motor being three phase indicated that the electronic phase generator must be the issue so it gave it up as a bad job and it remains in its box .... so I abandoned the project!