Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenstip review of the Oly 12-100 f/4
Lenstip just reviewed the Olympus 12-100 f/4.

The resolution figures are very impressive given the zoom ratio, especially at the shortest focal lengths.

Only downside is raw distortion but no surprise here, it's been the trend with mirrorless. Despite this, corner resolution at 12mm is surprisingly high.

This lens along a fast prime might well be the perfect travel do-it-all combo.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:... no surprise here, it's been the trend with mirrorless. 

With µ 4/3 and Fuji, that is. Less so with bigger ML formats  Big Grin But I agree very much on travel lens.

One negative with lenstip is they still use a low resolution camera for their tests. I wonder how it performs on 16mp or 20mp camera ? Hum actually they provided results with both their standard ?12mpb? and a 16mp camera - first time I've seen them do that. results are really good at 100mm (the bad end). Virtually no CA or LCA (maybe because it is slow) ?

-

Really a fantastic lens if you can live with f4, the price and horrible ghosting.

-

I wonder how well it renders - probalby pretty well given that it has little coma and astima.

Hum ephotozine has a review of the 12-60 (leica) (which can now be purchased); also very impressive.

Quote:Hum ephotozine has a review of the 12-60 (leica) (which can now be purchased); also very impressive.

ephotozine reviews are always good or great regardless of the lens being tested. Their tests are not very meaningful IMO.

Lenstip also tested the Pany 12-60 but it's optically quite a bit inferior to the 12-100 - as they point out in the 12-100 review.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:ephotozine reviews are always good or great regardless of the lens being tested. Their tests are not very meaningful IMO.

Lenstip also tested the Pany 12-60 but it's optically quite a bit inferior to the 12-100 - as they point out in the 12-100 review.
No they're not "always good" - check out some of the manual focus junk they're testing. Smile (apparently they have a knack for doing this, for no apparent reason)

Wrong lens. They tested the older 12-60 /3.5–5.6 which is a cheap lens. I'm talking about the new 2.8-4 which is a different class.

That doesn't mean the review by ephotozine is accurate but the mtf they posted were outstanding for the new lens.

Quote:ephotozine reviews are always good or great regardless of the lens being tested. Their tests are not very meaningful IMO.