Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Nikon 1
Misconception aborted:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl..._lineup%2F
I'm not sure whether it's fair to call it a misconception. The bridge cams with 1" sensor are doing quite well nowadays.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
It was a misconception to think that a 1" sensor camera with a big mount needing big lens barrels would be an attractive proposition for ILC buyers in general.
And "1 inch" sounds big, but it is a type, not a measurement (for those that do not know). 1" is from TV camera tube era, where a 1" tube had a usable diagonal of about 16mm.
Well, it was introduced at a different time. I suppose that people saw it as the "weakest" mirrorless system (other than Pentax Q) because of the sensor size - that didn't help.

I never took the last step to buy one.

First: Which one? The only types with EVF were always the V versions and here Nikon pounded new interesting features into the next body - and took other interested features which were nearly the reason to buy the old one, away.
Second: the lenses - or so to say, the non-lenses. Lots were just not available. About the "too big mount" - that was a funny remark, BC, I had lots to wish for, but never thought about the mount size - there's a limit to miniaturisation, even to japanese hands.
Third: no fully articulated tilt/swift screen - no buy.
Fourth: The prices were alright. For grown up cameras. But for these bonsai-versions? I could not help, but the cameras were the "toy-camera" mode becoming form. You can play Beethoven on a mouth harmonica. But some dudes will notice. Several times I took pen and paper and did the addition and it was the value of a serious thing - just not the appearance or feel.
That didn't last long. I'm not sure it matters why it didn't last long unless you wish to create a new product and want to study what went right and what went wrong. However, if you owned one well next time you will need to learn to buy a better system.
(07-13-2018, 10:20 PM)you2 Wrote: That didn't last long. I'm not sure it matters why it didn't last long unless you wish to create a new product and want to study what went right and what went wrong. However, if you owned one well next time you will need to learn to buy a better system.

To be fair ... it lasted longer than Samsung ...

Samsung had a good system, it was doing fine, even very good, leading in mirrorless brands at least here. Seeing them leaving was quite a surprise.
(07-14-2018, 03:54 AM)toni-a Wrote: Samsung had a good system, it was doing fine, even very good, leading in mirrorless brands at least here. Seeing them leaving was quite a surprise.

They had to recognize that they weren't able to penetrate the market and that the extra investment to do so wasn't worth it.
However, I'm pretty sure that they've also foreseen that smartphone cameras are the future in the mainstream market.
The day they left, that was a surprise for me, due to their very large distribution chain, their products were available in almost every showroom here, you have in almost every street a samsung distributor here, their cameras were selling very well, even better than Sony and Fuji, they had an excellent after sale service and parts largely available