Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panasonic S1 & S1R announced (development)
(09-26-2018, 09:26 AM)Klaus Wrote: Yes, there are too many systems on the market now.
I think Panasonic's move relates purely to video. They have been the dominant system for that during the last 6-7 years but they are now facing some competition from Fuji as well as CaNikon.
Pros are willing to pay more for a bigger format once the options become viable (they are not today but tomorrow they will be). So in order to keep their edge in that segment, they really had to go FF.

Whether L-mount will be a big success - I doubt so. But then what will be a big success in this industry?

I'm wondering which systems will die. Ok, Pentax - they are done. I almost suspect that Fuji is looking vulnerable now. Size-wise they can't compete with MFT and quality-wise they remain weaker than FF. Their GFX stuff is hardly mainstream. If it wasn't a religious market I'd also give a negative outlook to Nikon but then it is. Canon is hardly thrilling us but they remain untouchable due to their financial strength. Some may think that MFT is dead but honestly no other system provides small stuff thus I've a hard time to believe that they'll go away.

Well, I'm wondering what is the industry thinking. Yes, Amateurs have been pestering them for Mirrorless and Full-Frame for years now, but at the end of the day, how many are willing to spend $2000+ for a body and $1000-2000 for each lens? At the same time, the Sony-Canon-Nikon race to the bottom and their over-production have left the entry-level market as a wasteland: we will be buying the A6000, the T6 and the D3400 for some years still. 

I think there is still plenty of room between the sub-$500 consumer market and the $2000+ pro market. MFT and APS-C mirrorless cameras can fill that space by being A) Affordable, B) Small enough to walk-around/travel photography, and C) fill both the need for great stills photography and great video. That last part is important, because people will want an all-in-one solution, something that does everything their phone does, but better.

So, if MFT, Fuji, the EOS-M and APS-C E-mount are to survive, they'll need to make less f/0.95 to f/1.4 lenses, and more f/2 to f/4 lenses that people can buy on a whim. I think Fuji got that with their Fujicron range and the X-T100 and Canon understands it as well (though they need to push their EOS-M range).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Panasonic S1 & S1R announced (development) - by davidmanze - 09-26-2018, 08:21 AM
RE: Panasonic S1 & S1R announced (development) - by WyldRage - 09-26-2018, 01:26 PM
RE: Panasonic S1 & S1R announced (development) - by davidmanze - 09-26-2018, 11:30 AM
RE: Panasonic S1 & S1R announced (development) - by davidmanze - 02-01-2019, 09:27 AM
RE: Panasonic S1 & S1R announced (development) - by davidmanze - 02-01-2019, 11:28 AM
RE: Panasonic S1 & S1R announced (development) - by davidmanze - 02-03-2019, 08:56 AM