Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon's rumoured RGBW sensor is coming soon?
Quote:RGBG relies heavily on these GG for getting high luminance resolution,

Even slight uncompensated difference between G1 and G2 result moire patterns.

You can't just use W and G together, processing will be much more complex to archive same resolution as RGBG 
RGGB gets green out of 2, it now only has to get it out of one. The interpolation for the rest remains the same. Now W will be used to get more luminance. 

Not difficult at all to implement in current bayer interpolation algorithms.

Resolution is not in any way linked to the introduction of a W.
with RGBG green channel has 2x more pixels than any other channel and about 1.4 better resolution.

So it's a good place to start for reconstructing luminance "channel".

With RGBW all channels will have same 1/4 pixel count and same lower resolution.

And you can't just add up G+W like you can with G1+G2

Quote:with RGBG green channel has 2x more pixels than any other channel and about 1.4 better resolution.

So it's a good place to start for reconstructing luminance "channel".

With RGBW all channels will have same 1/4 pixel count and same lower resolution.

And you can't just add up G+W like you can with G1+G2
With RGGB you get resolution from all 3 colours, that will not change. Just if you only look at green, or only red, or only blue, you get double the resolution for the green channel.

With RGBW you get a W which has resolution for all colours. Depending on what interpolation tells you which colour the pixel should be, it will add resolution to all 2 channels. So you can actually say that resolution on the whole may increase.
Well, driving the sensor up to 5 digits ISO sounds cool, but is only one part of the story.

Having it in a DSLR makes me wonder, how to AF and how to find a suitable frame in darkness? Hard to imagine to have such an ISO monster for just taking handheld pictures in dark northern winter-woods. Tons of fanboys will scream for precise, fast AF-C, even if that means the AF would still work but I can't recognize a dark thing in the dark finder.

Alright, admittedly high ISO are good for a lot of things. Stopping down f/5.6-8 lenses or use them with converters, i.e.
Quote:Well, driving the sensor up to 5 digits ISO sounds cool, but is only one part of the story.

Having it in a DSLR makes me wonder, how to AF and how to find a suitable frame in darkness? Hard to imagine to have such an ISO monster for just taking handheld pictures in dark northern winter-woods. Tons of fanboys will scream for precise, fast AF-C, even if that means the AF would still work but I can't recognize a dark think in the dark finder.

Alright, admittedly high ISO are good for a lot of things. Stopping down f/5.6-8 lenses or use them with converters, i.e.

Time to go EVF Smile.

Kind regards, WIm
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
EVF improved a lot since Sony F505, true. But not enough yet to handle low light situations reliably. At least the Fuji X-T2 has more troubles to focus quickly and precisely in dark conditions than a D750 or D810. And those are no top performers like D500 / D5.