Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sample gallery: Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX II
Oldie but goodie ... except for AF and, of course, CAs

https://photozone.smugmug.com/Tokina-AF-...-X-Pro-DX/
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Typical for the Tokinas. Smile Though last I heard the newer ones are not as atrocious for the CA (my old 12-24 was pretty "remarkable" on this: one could see the CA on... a photo from that lens printed in a (color) newspaper!)
It is darn sharp though

The 12-24mm f4 DX's LoCA was pretty easy to correct ( and I mean correct, not mask), even in standard PS. The biggest issue with that lens was/is the crappy build quality (focus ring rubber drying out and braking within a few years, aperture lens errors due to the quickly breaking ribbon cable, screws of the mount loosening easily (not locked in the factory).
I used (still have, actually) Pentax version of 12-24/4. I can fully agree on both: very sharp, with easy to fix CA in Lightroom. A couple of clicks did it so I never considered it to be a deal breaker.

Build quality on Pentax was fine, until I dropped it. ;-) It resulted in damaged filter ring, with the rest of the lens still functioning fine.
Tokina has been churning out APS-C wideangle lenses as if it's been going out of fashion: there are also the newer 11-20/2.8, 12-28/4 and even 14-20/2 lenses. All of them with the same silly "clutch" and old-style focusing motors, last I checked.
Glare waas an issue in the old model.
The aperture cable is not flat ribbot but flex PCB it cost 5euro with delivery and repairment is straight forward - it took me an hour the first time
Leave the talk to the grown ups, miro. These things are called ribbon cables too.
(11-05-2018, 03:30 PM)Rover Wrote: Tokina has been churning out APS-C wideangle lenses as if it's been going out of fashion: there are also the newer 11-20/2.8, 12-28/4 and even 14-20/2 lenses. All of them with the same silly "clutch" and old-style focusing motors, last I checked.

The 12-28mm f/4 has a new AF drive:
https://tokinalens.com/product/at_x_12_28_pro_dx/

Lets hope it does not prove to be Sudden Death Motor like it did with Pentax SDM lenses ;-)