Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well...
5 star review on full frame with its inevitable vignetting? You gotta be kidding me. Smile

But seriously, it could only be the 105/1.4 - since Markus has already indicated that he had gotten hold of it. Too much of a coincidence otherwise. Big Grin (sincerely yours, Captain Obvious)

Well, then we (meaning me, using plural majestatis for whatever reason) have to sharpen the good old equivalence axe again. I don't know for what, but a sharp axe is good to have at home at these times.  :ph34r:

105/1.4 E was not the lens with heavy vignetting on lenstip? I'm confused, but that's perfectly normal.

The heavy vignetting (and swirly bokeh) are both because of the narrow F-mount. A lovely lens non the less.

Well, I guess it was really too obvious Wink

So far I have only had the lens in the lab, but not used it outdoors. I plan to do so next week (pray for sun, please Smile  ) and if things work out, finish the review by Friday.

-- Markus

Editor
opticallimits.com

Great!

What I meant was, most FF lenses (fast ones more so) unavoidably end up with high vignetting when used on their native format (of course there are exceptions). But since it's inevitably construed as an optical flaw by the reviewers (not only PZ), the score is lowered. That, and the comparative sharpness level (relative to the graph) is higher on APS-C because there's some inevitable (again) deterioration towards the corners on FF - and that influences the score as well. So far, I think the only 5 star reviews we've seen was from the highest quality FF lenses evaluated on APS-C (Nikon 14-24, Canon 70-200 II...)

The Samyang 85mm f1.2 avoids the heavy vignetting by only being available with the much wider EF mount. It vignets less than the Canon 85mm f1.2, apparently.  :ph34r:

Quote:The Samyang 85mm f1.2 avoids the heavy vignetting by only being available with the much wider EF mount. It vignets less than the Canon 85mm f1.2, apparently.  :ph34r:
Hmm... last I checked, the Mitakon 85mm f/1.2 is available in Nikon mount as well as Canon and whatnot. But don't beat me up if I'm wrong since I'm not that well-versed (nor interested) in MF lenses...  :unsure:

Quote:Hmm... last I checked, the Mitakon 85mm f/1.2 is available in Nikon mount as well as Canon and whatnot. But don't beat me up if I'm wrong since I'm not that well-versed (nor interested) in MF lenses...  :unsure:
Wanna bet the Mitakon 85mm f1.2 vignettes more than the new Samyang 85mm f1.2 because of that? 
Quote:The Samyang 85mm f1.2 avoids the heavy vignetting by only being available with the much wider EF mount. It vignets less than the Canon 85mm f1.2, apparently.  :ph34r:
I'm sure most Nikonians wouldn't mind higher vignetting. I guess Samyang went the Canon-only route just because the lens' huge rear element and the narrow F-mount are physically incompatible.

Talking about vignetting: yes, the AF-S 105 vignettes wide open, of course. 1.8 EV, to be precise. However, if that's the lens' only flaw and nothing else shows up during field-testing (like terrible flare for example), it's still on track to a 5-star rating Smile

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:I'm sure most Nikonians wouldn't mind higher vignetting. I guess Samyang went the Canon-only route just because the lens' huge rear element and the narrow F-mount are physically incompatible.

Talking about vignetting: yes, the AF-S 105 vignettes wide open, of course. 1.8 EV, to be precise. However, if that's the lens' only flaw and nothing else shows up during field-testing (like terrible flare for example), it's still on track to a 5-star rating Smile

-- Markus
That is what I am saying, making the back element smaller gives more vignetting (less illuminated corners) and mechanical vignetting (term used to describe the cutting off of the bokeh discs towards the edges, creating cats eye and more funny shapes and causing a "swirly" effect).

I know that the light fall off and swirly bokeh are its only faults. Like I said, lovely lens, and as i pointed out, both the "fault" of the narrow mount diameter.