Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon RF 85mm f/1.2 L USM announced
(05-08-2019, 01:06 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: It does look quite APO-ish here:
https://cweb.canon.jp/eos/rf/lineup/rf85...-popup.jpg

True. I checked the wedding dress shot from the sample section earlier and to me it seemed like it's not an APO judging from that shot (which is a high-key shot, making LoCAs less visible).

Ok, so we maybe have an APO-brick... that makes the price tag way more reasonable Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

I don't understand any complaints about the price of this lens which makes the camera body behind looking like a tiny spacecraft behind the moon. To me it's worth this price.

$2700 vs. $2200 for a Nikon 105/1.4 with all it's weaknesses? Or $5000 for a manual focus Zeiss? I'd go for the Canon if they make one with Nikon mount. Heavy? Maybe, but well balanced as it appears. The Sigma 85 Art is as heavy but much longer. That's what Nikon lacks. What good for is the better sensor or camera body (a matter of taste, I'd say) if the lenses come to market as slow as the Berlin airport?

I wonder how much Canon is relying on software correction? Given the coatings and size of glass, I'd suspect it's close to zero in distortion - and for the vignetting with such a fast lens I couldn't care less.
Canon is not in the habit of relying on software correction (unlike some others (olympus/panasonic/Sony APS-C?) Of course, DPP does offer correction for Canon optics, but that does not mean they disregard correction in the optics themselves.
Nikon also was "not in the habit", but for their mirrorless lenses they now are in the habit. I already suspected what you said about Canon.  Maybe I'll check - on DPR are enough RAWs to download and compare with and without corrections. 

For mirrorless at least Nikon chose a new paradigm. 

And they already had the Nikon 1 system and could study lens corrections... On first thought I didn't care much about software corrections. On second thought there are a lot of downsides: Nikon puts the correction in the lenses, but favors Adobe and their own RAW converter with new lenses. C1 i.e. so far shows only one Z lens (and this is the "worst" 24-70/4 which really needs SW correction). So, first I'd pay premium prices for a new lens and second I have to invest some time to find correction settings because Phase One's programmers are not the fastest with new lenses.

15 minutes later: I downloaded 5 images with some straight lines at their borders. I tried with and without lens-profile. Very close to nothing changes, straight lines stay straight, no matter if 28, 50 or 70 mm. That's exactly what i expected from Nikon, but the cruel reality is: I can buy a lens which is sharp but needs a lot of SW help to show straight lines. And it doesn't matter if it's the f/2.8 or f/4 version of their 24-70. I feel slightly betrayed and don't appreciate this way.
Any guesses on how much more expensive the RF 85mm f1.2 L USM DS will be?
But yes, the pricing is brutal - and it seems to be the new normal.
I reckon with the market continuing to be in collapse mode that‘s their way of maintaining profitability based on a substantially reduced volume.

It'll be interesting whether this will translate to a widening price gap between the genuine and the third-party manufacturers again.
During recent years Sigmas/Tamrons got much more expensive but that's nothing compared to the hikes that we see now from CaNikon.

I‘m beginning to wonder whether Sony will win because they are the most affordable FF mirrorless system. Who may have thought of that years ago when we complained about Sony price tags ... ;-)

And yeah, why should you want to buy the non-DS version of the RF 85? Maybe AF performance but then ...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Sony most affordable?

They are the same or higher.
100mm f2.8 STM? €1850,-
16-35m f2.8? €2700,- (€1994,- for the new Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 L USM III)
70-200mm f2.8? €3000,- (€2339,99 for the newest Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM III)
85mm f1.4.... €2100,- (Canon's new EF 85mm f1.4 L IS USM €1629)

I can go on for a while this way about Sony lens pricing if you like, but I guess you get the picture already. Sony the least affordable, but with the widest lens range for FF mirrorless.
@BC - I wrote about FF MIRRORLESS systems.

U know that I do not like to discuss legacy systems ;-)

The Sony prices are HIGH for FF MIRRORLESS ;-)
And Canon's EF lenses are not somehow cheaper rated by Canon than RF lenses, so the comparison is still valid.

NikkorZ 24-70mm f4, €949. Sony 24-70mm f4, €1250.

We'll see if you were right after all after Sony/Zeiss comes with a 85mm f1.2 ;-)
Now do the same comparison with Z 50mm f/1.8 and Z 24-70mm f/2.8 ;-)