Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Nikon stuff not many care about
... nor will it be tested here anytime soon:

Announcement of another and hopefully the last DinoSaurLR, the D6 might just be ready for some olympics and for some last sports shooters who didn't grab an α9 or α9 II, if it will be available soon.

Just kidding. Nikon users are as conservative as the brand ... Will be the last DSLR owners standing.

The 120-300/2.8 might be a nice copy of Sigma's 2005 introduced lens, just for double the price and maybe 1 kg less, but the AF-S NIKKOR 120-300MM F/2.8E FL ED SR VR leaves me curious for what the SR stands for. Saurus Rex?

Anyway, these two items are just ongoing projects Nikon is working on.

And then the next made in China cheapo, the 24/1.8 S for hilarious 1000 bucks, I'll take two dozens as dirt cheap as it is. Someone said the big mount would allow for new lens designs, now I slowly get the picture, that "new" doesn't necessarily mean "affordable" or "small". Hell, we already lost a distance scale and no one really complains. The distance is also no longer in EXIF. How will one want to set up these lenses for hyperfocal distances? Not necessary anymore? Just for rangefinders sexy?
(09-04-2019, 07:41 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: ... nor will it be tested here anytime soon:

Announcement of another and hopefully the last DinoSaurLR, the D6 might just be ready for some olympics and for some last sports shooters who didn't grab an α9 or α9 II, if it will be available soon.

Just kidding. Nikon users are as conservative as the brand ... Will be the last DSLR owners standing.

The 120-300/2.8 might be a nice copy of Sigma's 2005 introduced lens, just for double the price and maybe 1 kg less, but the AF-S NIKKOR 120-300MM F/2.8E FL ED SR VR leaves me curious for what the SR stands for. Saurus Rex?

Anyway, these two items are just ongoing projects Nikon is working on.

And then the next made in China cheapo, the 24/1.8 S for hilarious 1000 bucks, I'll take two dozens as dirt cheap as it is. Someone said the big mount would allow for new lens designs, now I slowly get the picture, that "new" doesn't necessarily mean "affordable" or "small". Hell, we already lost a distance scale and no one really complains. The distance is also no longer in EXIF. How will one want to set up these lenses for hyperfocal distances? Not necessary anymore? Just for rangefinders sexy?

Hyperfocal distance is overrated IMO Smile.

As to the distance in EXIF: really? On the EOS-R you can actually see the focusing distance in the EVF if you so please. No idea it is stored in the exif, something to check I guess, but I assumed it was, basically because it clearly is something that is available.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
This 24 f1.8 is a hard sell compared to the Sony FE 24 f1.4 which is the best 24mm in the industry according to Roger Cicala: "Overall, I have to say the Sony 24mm f1.4 GM is the best 24mm made right now and really a world-class optic.". Source: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/08...m-f1-4-sp/
The Sony is smaller, lighter and more importantly f1.4 instead of f1.8.
This 24 Z is disappointing...
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(09-04-2019, 09:19 AM)wim Wrote: Hyperfocal distance is overrated IMO Smile.

As to the distance in EXIF: really? On the EOS-R you can actually see the focusing distance in the EVF if you so please. No idea it is stored in the exif, something to check I guess, but I assumed it was, basically because it clearly is something that is available.

Kind regards, Wim

Hyperfocal distance IS overrated, I agree, but was trying to find another reason else than it would be nice to know to what distance the lens was focused.

I could see that in all F-lenses, but in Graphic converter the exif filed of "distance" remained "undetermined". In old Aperture (the nice DAM Apple decided to trash) I could see the focus points and the distance as well. Capture One doesn't show any of them.

(09-04-2019, 09:20 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: This 24 f1.8 is a hard sell compared to the Sony FE 24 f1.4 which is the best 24mm in the industry according to Roger Cicala: "Overall, I have to say the Sony 24mm f1.4 GM is the best 24mm made right now and really a world-class optic.". Source: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/08...m-f1-4-sp/

Nothing to add, except "I agree". Big Grin
(09-04-2019, 09:20 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: This 24 f1.8 is a hard sell compared to the Sony FE 24 f1.4 which is the best 24mm in the industry according to Roger Cicala: "Overall, I have to say the Sony 24mm f1.4 GM is the best 24mm made right now and really a world-class optic.". Source: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/08...m-f1-4-sp/

Some people are already in the Nikon ecosystem and may not be willing to muck around with the adapter (it's a minor miracle we have one at all, anyway). Therefore they'll have to gulp it down.
Perhaps Sigma Rival?
I think they are busy to make their 11 L-mount lenses. And then some more for Sony, maybe as well for Canon R, but Nikon is no high priority on Sigma's agenda.
Sigma is the only one offering a 120-300mm f2.8 ;-)
First, "in the work" is something else than "you can order it right now" - the 500 PF E is a very good example that demand exceeds supply (1000 copies/month...).
Second, no one knows how good it will be, how much it will cost and how much lighter than Sigma's 3.4 kg cylinder it will be. (that was already third and fourth). I tried the Sigma but I'm not up to this weight and size.

I think, Nikon wants to win over the sports photographers who are hesitating because the internet knows how ohhh so bad Sigmas focusing. The 58/0.95 was also announced to be in the making, as well as the Z-line's battery grip. Nikon starts with vaporware, no?
(09-04-2019, 12:47 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: First, "in the work" is something else than "you can order it right now" - the 500 PF E is a very good example that demand exceeds supply (1000 copies/month...).
Second, no one knows how good it will be, how much it will cost and how much lighter than Sigma's 3.4 kg cylinder. (that was already third and fourth).

I think, Nikon wants to win over the sports photographers who are hesitating because the internet knows how ohhh so bad Sigmas focusing. The 58/0.95 was also announced to be in the making, as well as the Z-line's battery grip. Nikon starts with vaporware, no?

It was just my answer to what SR might mean :-P