Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z50 & lenses annouced
(10-12-2019, 07:02 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 01:26 PM)Klaus Wrote: To be fair - over at dpreview they state that the sensor is the same as the one used in the D500 - and it seems to be the best there is.
It's quite a looker, too. These kit lenses, however ...
Even worse - I can only spot one more DX lens in their roadmap. And that's till 2021.

Not sure whether we'll dive into this one (albeit I'm a bit curious).

I don't think it's the D500's sensor ...... on sensor PDAF means exactly that ........ the D500's sensor doesn't have it.

The new mount is a bit ridiculous on the Z50 requiring large diameter lenses on a small camera  ..... and frankly I don't see it getting a full range anytime soon.

First, Klaus never said anything about the D500 sensor, that was me talking about what I heard from Chris' and Jordan's review on DPReview. Meanwhile I also heard speculations about "sensor being the same as in D7500", and frankly, I don't care much.

Second, I don't think you're getting Nikon's idea behind offering a DX-sensor behind the far too big mount: The only very compact lenses are slow primes or even slower collapsible zooms. The Z 50 might not be the D500 replacement, just in mirrorless - so far I haven't seen any Nikon mirrorless for professional needs.

But the Z 50 comes with two lenses, covers 16-250 mm and is a direct competitor to Fuji's X-T30 (with the same lenses). I don't think it's better than what the market has to offer - but it's a first choice for Nikon DX owners who want to tip a first toe into ML waters without getting too wet, but with the option to use their DX-lenses. Same as Z 6 and 7, just in small. And therefore I don't think, Nikon's working day and night to bring out more DX-glass. For now, these two lenses make a nice package, SW correction included and benefitting from the sensor's high ISO IQ.

Canon went two mounts - and although the M-line is in the market for quite a while now, I don't think Canon themselves would call the lens line-up as "complete". Nikon doesn't bother for a fourth line of mounts - I consider the 1-lenses a mount system, even if it failed in the market. They don't repeat the same mistakes they made with the 1-mount: F-lenses on the FT1 adapter work only in AF-C by reducing the number of focus points to 1, which is the center point. That was a rather stupid idea, I'm glad someone learnt something at Nikon.
(10-12-2019, 12:02 PM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(10-12-2019, 07:02 AM)davidmanze Wrote: I don't think it's the D500's sensor ...... on sensor PDAF means exactly that ........ the D500's sensor doesn't have it.

The new mount is a bit ridiculous on the Z50 requiring large diameter lenses on a small camera  ..... and frankly I don't see it getting a full range anytime soon.

First, Klaus never said anything about the D500 sensor, that was me talking about what I heard from Chris' and Jordan's review on DPReview. Meanwhile I also heard speculations about "sensor being the same as in D7500", and frankly, I don't care much.

Second, I don't think you're getting Nikon's idea behind offering a DX-sensor behind the far too big mount: The only very compact lenses are slow primes or even slower collapsible zooms. The Z 50 might not be the D500 replacement, just in mirrorless - so far I haven't seen any Nikon mirrorless for professional needs.

But the Z 50 comes with two lenses, covers 16-250 mm and is a direct competitor to Fuji's X-T30 (with the same lenses). I don't think it's better than what the market has to offer - but it's a first choice for Nikon DX owners who want to tip a first toe into ML waters without getting too wet, but with the option to use their DX-lenses. Same as Z 6 and 7, just in small. And therefore I don't think, Nikon's working day and night to bring out more DX-glass. For now, these two lenses make a nice package, SW correction included and benefiting from the sensor's high ISO IQ.

Canon went two mounts - and although the M-line is in the market for quite a while now, I don't think Canon themselves would call the lens line-up as "complete". Nikon doesn't bother for a fourth line of mounts - I consider the 1-lenses a mount system, even if it failed in the market. They don't repeat the same mistakes they made with the 1-mount: F-lenses on the FT1 adapter work only in AF-C by reducing the number of focus points to 1, which is the center point. That was a rather stupid idea, I'm glad someone learnt something at Nikon.

Does it really matter who said what? ...... I'm not replying to accuse anyone for saying whatever ......... I'm replying to say that the D500's sensor doesn't have on sensor PDAF ..... therefore the Z50 isn't using that sensor though it is using a similar one but with PDAF!!
I didn't read the quote of Klaus properly, in fact I totally puzzled a couple of things together. Sorry for confusion and it was not meant as an accusation.