Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon's new nifty fifty
The "el cheapo" (sort of) 58mm f/0.95
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-.../index.htm

Yours for just $8000. Manual focus, of course.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Looking at the lens construction, it indeed uses the mount real estate. And it does have a tripod foot. And a "Canon RF style" control ring. And a HUGE focus throw which will be both a blessing (precise focus control) and a bother (turning... turning, turning... STAY STILL because I have not reached focus yet!).

And....
https://www.nikon-image.com/products/nik...c_03_l.jpg

Hard to say for sure, with such a huge amount of blurring, but those white shapes in the background do not promise very smooth bokeh....
(10-10-2019, 07:16 AM)Klaus Wrote: The "el cheapo" (sort of) 58mm f/0.95
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-.../index.htm

Yours for just $8000. Manual focus, of course.

Or 9814.- francs in Switzerland (8965.- €).

Or two Otii 55/1.4 (2950.-) and a Z 7 with FTZ (3130.-) and for the rest buying a nice flight or train ticket (784,) to a nice place.
Well, it's a - "here, we can do this" lens - with no intention of selling more than a handful.

It's a bit tragic that it'll give you basically the same amount of blur as a 105mm f/1.4 - available for 1300EUR over at Sigma - including AF. Same size/weight, too.

Whether this is going to help their mission ...

The recent obsession in the 50mm segment is a little weird, really. Out of curiosity I just filtered the amount of 50mm-ish lenses on a price comparison site.
Result: 275 (across all mounts, some duplicates due to the same lens available in different mounts).

275 ...

(10-10-2019, 01:08 PM)Klaus Wrote: ....It's a bit tragic that it'll give you basically the same amount of blur as a 105mm f/1.4 - available for 1300EUR over at Sigma - including AF. Same size/weight, too.

And the Sigma comes with AF, Arca compatible tripod foot, while the Nikkor is based in a huuuuge pelican case. And has instead of only one two distance scales - wow - or an aperture scale - wow - and two buttons (to compensate the missing AF/MF switch? Blush )

Okay, for the 8400.- francs I can buy a couple of Pelican cases. And a small 2nd hand car to transport them...
(10-10-2019, 01:08 PM)Klaus Wrote: Well, it's a - "here, we can do this" lens - with no intention of selling more than a handful.

It's a bit tragic that it'll give you basically the same amount of blur as a 105mm f/1.4 - available for 1300EUR over at Sigma - including AF. Same size/weight, too.

Whether this is going to help their mission ...

The recent obsession in the 50mm segment is a little weird, really. Out of curiosity I just filtered the amount of 50mm-ish lenses on a price comparison site.
Result: 275 (across all mounts, some duplicates due to the same lens available in different mounts).

275 ...

It weighs 2 Kgs .....
If you can spend $8000 for this, you also have your own porter.

The Leica disease is contagious. Smile And we thought the Otus line was expensive.
(10-10-2019, 06:07 PM)Rover Wrote: The Leica disease is contagious. Smile And we thought the Otus line was expensive.

Leica makes 2 kg primes??
(10-10-2019, 06:13 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 06:07 PM)Rover Wrote: The Leica disease is contagious. Smile And we thought the Otus line was expensive.

Leica makes 2 kg primes??

Nope (maybe unless you count the S-mount) but a few $8000 ones (or more expensive). Smile (I was talking about the price in the piece you quoted Smile)