Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikkor lens roadmap
Nice plan - albeit late, of course.

Attached Files
.pdf   NIKKOR-Z-Lens-Lineup-Expansion.pdf (Size: 290.16 KB / Downloads: 18)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Late and no real dates, so kind of "as informative and reliable as a Fujifilm roadmap, where lenses can be changed any time".

Ok, there never was a roadmap for F-lenses. Now we have a decorative slide from Nikon's clerks (designers or engineers apparently don't have anything to say or decide at Nikon) for the ones always asking for one.
That seems like a nice lineup, once it is fully released in 5 or so years. That said, I am surprised at the lack of f1.4 lenses, and of a f4 or variable aperture tele-zoom lens as a lighter/cheaper alternative to the 70-200 mm f2.8.
(10-10-2019, 07:20 AM)Klaus Wrote: Nice plan - albeit late, of course.

A 200-600mm FF zoom ?  ..... should be good lens !!
(10-10-2019, 01:41 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 07:20 AM)Klaus Wrote: Nice plan - albeit late, of course.

A 200-600mm FF zoom ?  ..... should be good lens !!

Well, the Sony 200-600 already is a good lens and even better, the body behind alredy has state of the art AF. Here Nikon still has a way to go. Selling a portrait lens for a camera which can't detect each face, not to mention eyes, in the picture (when using AF-C) is sort of doubtful.
The entries are very conservative methinks. And will they only release three DX lenses in the foreseeable future? That sucks a little for anyone who might want to assemble a compact Nikon-compatible kit (although adapting is, of course, still an option). APS-C is THE format to get for anyone interested in abundant, high-quality, relatively compact UWAs but the APS-C Z mount will have to wait god knows how long for a - say - 10-xx option.
"The plan" looks fairly reasonable to me.
I'm a bit puzzled that both Canon and Nikon have time for releasing exotics though (RF 28-70mm f/2, 58mm f/0.95).
While I get the idea behind the S 85mm f/1.8, I'm not so sure about the sex-appeal of a 20mm f/1.8.
The S 24-70mm f/4 was also a bit of an odd decision (vs the planned 24-105mm f/4).
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(10-11-2019, 08:19 AM)Klaus Wrote: "The plan" looks fairly reasonable to me.
I'm a bit puzzled that both Canon and Nikon have time for releasing exotics though (RF 28-70mm f/2, 58mm f/0.95).
While I get the idea behind the S 85mm f/1.8, I'm not so sure about the sex-appeal of a 20mm f/1.8.
The S 24-70mm f/4 was also a bit of an odd decision (vs the planned 24-105mm f/4).

The 24-70/4 is a compact solution well suited (presumably) to the Z6/Z7. The 24-105 (I wonder why not the 24-120 as per the Nikon tradition?) will surely be more bulky.

I think a 20/1.8 is a good idea, both for astro and for lowlight shooting. I know my 24/1.4 (which occupies a similar niche) is only rarely used but when it is, I know there's no substitute.
(10-11-2019, 08:19 AM)Klaus Wrote: "The plan" looks fairly reasonable to me.

Showcase lenses are needed as proof of concept or as unique units to make customers buy into a new system. I just can't see many customers to burn 8000 $ (just slightly under 10 k francs or €) for... Something like the 18-35/1.8, the 24-50/2 or the 50-100/1.8 Sigma offers for DSLRs, would have been a bigger magnet than a 58/0.95 - to me, so it's rather insignificant.

The whole Z series of lenses can be named as a series of odd decisions: Why so many f/1.8, why no f/1.4, why so many FLs in the same range (3× 50ish, plus 2× 50 ciovered by zoom...)? To me it appears Nikon wants to avoid the problems faster lenses bring with and at the same time make a lot of money out of medium fast primes - all of them are more expensive than their DSLR twins, "now imagine how much we'd ask for an f/1.4!" The 24-70/2.8 S is the most expensive Nikkor you can get in this class...

So far I still can't recognize a good reason why ML lenses have to be more expensive than their often more complicated to make DSLR counterparts. I mean, else than normal "greed". The ML lenses feel cheaper, are made cheaper, all lack of a decent distance scale, filter thread was selected with the idea to bring a new one for each lens... It is fun to shoot with it, but I still raise my eyebrows about some new fashions...