Flickr gallery
(11-25-2019, 09:51 PM)Odonyx Wrote: Hi, all

I will choose from
XF 90
XF 80 macro
XF 50
XF 56 (both)
Thanks for answer

I'd suggest to rent a 56/1.2 (not APD, as this sucks in low light) and a 90/2 and see if you prefer a longer distance between you and the model or getting closer. Maybe your space is limited?
Indoor 56. For outdoor portraits, 90 would be my choice.
Regardless of image quality, is it a model you know ??
If you are shooting models you don't know or you aren't familiar with forget about the 50 and 56, you will be too close and they won't feel comfortable,80- 90mm APS-C would give you a better shooting distance and the model (and you) would be more at ease.
Now if you are inside a studio and your model is posing take a look at tilt and shift adapters plus some good full frame 85mm primes, there are plenty outside at cheap prices, they will give you plenty of creative options but keep in mind they are extremely slow to operate for candid shots and outdoor shots just forget about them.
Why the need for a tilt-shift lens?

A regular FF equiv 85 or 135 would be perfectly suited to the task. As others have already said, it's more a matter of focal length preference and space.
No need for FF either, unless one wants very shallow DOF.
Both Fujis (56 f1.2 and 90 f2) should provide enough DOF control for the vast majority of scenarios.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(11-26-2019, 05:31 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Why the need for a tilt-shift lens?

A regular FF equiv 85 or 135 would be perfectly suited to the task.  As others have already said, it's more a matter of focal length preference and space.
Both Fujis (56 f1.2 and 90 f2) should provide enough DOF control for the vast majority of scenarios.

Also, both of them feature AF while a FF tilt-shift lens needs a very patient model due to manual focus, doesn't provide EXIF and is a pain to use in front of a small camera. This kind of recommendation is not based on own experience, I suspect.
The lens to get is 90mm/F2 WR. Imho, it excels in rendering for portrait work, although it is a bit on the sharp side for portraits so you may need to spend some time in post processing.

I personally have been avoiding 56mm/F1.2 for some time because I'm not convinced by the price/performance ratio and, to me, the bokeh looks not as refined as the 90mm.

The 80mm/F2.8 Macro is quite expensive and I'm a bit disappointed by this lens, compared to the price I paid for it. At 2.8 it shows some heavy vignetting, which makes the bokeh looks a bit more swirly at the edges, like an old Helios lens (but not that much). For the price, you should consider XF 50-140/F2.8 instead, it is more versatile lens for portrait photography.

I will give you two additional options to consider:

Fujinon 60mm/F2.4 Macro has some excellent bokeh and goes reasonably sharp, so if you are not shooting wide open, it will have more pleasing defocus compared to 56mm/F1.2.

Viltrox 85/1.8 is a 3rd party alternative that goes for less than half the price of a new 90mm/F2. Not as sharp wide open, which is cool for portrait work, but also - the bokeh is not as smooth, if you are into that. No WR either, so don't shoot in the rain with it.

I would not buy 50mm/F2 no matter what!

Hope that helps!
(11-26-2019, 05:36 PM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 05:31 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Why the need for a tilt-shift lens?

A regular FF equiv 85 or 135 would be perfectly suited to the task.  As others have already said, it's more a matter of focal length preference and space.

Also, both of them feature AF while a FF tilt-shift lens needs a very patient model due to manual focus, doesn't provide EXIF and is a pain to use in front of a small camera. This kind of recommendation is not based on own experience, I suspect.

IMHO no lens is too sharp...
(11-26-2019, 06:13 AM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 09:51 PM)Odonyx Wrote: Hi, all

I will choose from
XF 90
XF 80 macro
XF 50
XF 56 (both)
Thanks for answer

I'd suggest to rent a 56/1.2 (not APD, as this sucks in low light) and a 90/2 and see if you prefer a longer distance between you and the model or getting closer. Maybe your space is limited?

No, space is not limited. I think now about 50-140, as more flexible alternative